BYYB Forums

Full Version: Recent work on kayak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Things have been a little hectic, but I am managing to get work done on this project occassionally. I got the whole thing fiberglassed over the weekend, just a final coat of epoxy, the seat and seat back, and a ton of sanding. It is possible I could launch this before the water gets hard.

http://community.webshots.com/album/569540494GxTNek
Brit thats one fine boat!  Is it cold molded or strip plank?  I think you can get it in the water if you do a zen like "I sand... there fore I am" thing.  I just finished making a pair of ores.  I am doing the final sanding and touchup filling on my small boat to ready it for painting and took a break to make the ores.  As much of a break as it is since making the ores included 4 hours of sanding to get them where I wanted them.  My point is I am still hoping for a launch this year and my boat will take more time for painting then yours will for varnish.  Don't skimp on the last epoxy coat.  In fact I think 2 thin coats are better then one.  The second epoxy coat allowed me to sand a bit more in spots to get it just so.  Also let your varnish coats dry a total of 5 days after the last one.  I would give it a week if you can stand the wait.  From what I have experienced and read it takes at least 5 days for a hard cure.
Hi Brit!  Very nice kayak. I'd love to see launch photos before ice-in.

Dave
It's all strip built. Alder hull with pine and mahogany accents, the top is fir with alder accents and mahogany bow and stern treatments.