BYYB Forums

Full Version: Steering Hatch Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Peter wrote up a handy little page with some details on the Steering Hatch (or Lazarette, if one prefers.) I've posted it on the site for download:
http://www.stevproj.com/SteeringHatch.pdf

It also has a bit about how he beefed up the wheel mount and hotcoated the hull with epoxy rather than bondoing.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks, Mike and Peter.  Just what I needed!

Dave
Mike or Peter: I went out to my boat to reconfirm the the lazarette length at the transom is only 12 inches.  From the photos, it looks like Peter's may be longer fore-to-aft than mine.  The 6 inch long hole, set back 5 inches, doesnt allow enough room for the fore edge of the hatch to sit on the deck.  Moving the hole back to 4 inches seems to work, and still allow clearance for the taff rail.  Also, is 16 inches (instead of 18) sufficiently wide for the hole?

Dave
When I did mine, I used a "scientific" method.  I cut the hole the size needed to be able to stick my arm in and reach everything.  I think mine is about 12" wide.
Hi GUYS (sorry if I sound like Magnum P.I.)
I goofed. I measured to the front of the rear hatch stringer instead of to the hole cut-out which it overlapped a bit. The distance from the rear of the transom to the rear of the hatch cut-out is 4-1/2", not 5". This distance is the dimension the hole is forward of the transom, not aft of the front edge of the rear deck (if I got confusing there). (which it sounds like I did). 16" wide is fine.
Pete
Hmmm...Looks like I'll need to change the PDF file.

Mike
Thanks for the clarification, Pete.

Dave