BYYB Forums

Full Version: Land locked for now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ahoy.  I've been enjoying the site for a while know but thought I might as well say hi.
I ran accross the Stevenson's new Skipjack site over a year ago and waited patiently for
the plans to come out.  I just kind of fell for the lines of the boat.  It looks fast
and fun.  I did consider the Triad as it looked like a really stable boat and didn't
require a trailer.  Something I'm concerned about as I have no sailing experience and
I wan't to be able to go out safely with my ten year old son.  I figured this may be the
only boat I ever build so I might as well go for the one I really want.  I started building
on Aug. 8th and I know of plenty of things already that I could have done better.  I can
see how past experience can shave many hours off build time.  This is my progress so far.
I've just gotten started but I've considered shelving the project already unil spring before
I start assembling.  The fall weather has come on fast and I'm going to want my garage back
for my car.  I thought it might be better leaving everything inside as opposed to having to tarp
it up  outside for the winter.  On the other hand I know there is some more nice weekends to
come in the next 2 months.
First a belated welcome.  Second I also had to decide between the Skipjack and the Triad.  It was the older Skipjack though. I chose the Triad.  I am about finished.  I am doing the final sandings before painting.  I doubt you could get by without a trailer with the Triad.  It weighs over 240 empty without the mast, spars and sail.  I suppose two stout people could hoist a Triad in and out of the back of a pickup but it would stick 4 feet beyond the box.  I think it would take 4 people to hoist it on top of a vehicle.  The weight and bulk of it would make overhead handling a strain.  If the newer version of the Skipjack had been available, when I bought my plans, I would have chosen it also.  Your choosing the New Skipjack will not be a decision you regret.  Make some sawdust over the winter.