BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bowsprit Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've fitted the deck to the bulkheads and am now doing as many of the jobs that I can before installing the sides of the hull.  Just easier with all the access.  I've cut the hatch, am fitting the tabernacle(as per Ryerson's  "Sans Souci") and completed the bit and bowsprit.  After dryfitting the sprit, I got to thinking that it might look better a little thinner.  I'm proposing a squared off base with chamfered corners to the tip if the deck (2-1/2" square).  Then a round segment from the end of the deck to the 7" point where the terminal section with the hemisphere end begins.  The round section could be 2" in diameter, and the last 7 inches 1-3/4"diameter.  The result: a little more delicate but still strong enough.  The only downside is that the sprit will need a 1/4" thick "pad" to support the rounded section, now 1/2" thinner than the 2-1/2" base section.  This arrangement is used on many bowsprits in larger boats I've seen.  Any comments?  Has anyone tried to "slim down" the bowsprit?

Dave
Nope. I made mine thicker.

[attachment=1]

I did it by accident, mis-reading the instructions, only realising what I had done when I tried to fit it between the bitts.

Oh well, I like how it looks, and since I hit stuff a lot, I think it works better for me too.
I just made mine  "by eye", and yes, it is thinner.  Keith's thicker sprit looks very nice as well so I think you should do whatever you like the looks of Smile

DavidGale

(09-06-2009, 05:28 PM)Dave Blake link Wrote: [ -> ]This arrangement is used on many bowsprits in larger boats I've seen.  Any comments?  Has anyone tried to "slim down" the bowsprit?

Dave

Like Keith, I've hit my bowsprit against some solid objects.... Bridge trusses, docks, and a couple rocks.

It would way suck if that broke.. Mine is laminated spruce 2x4s cut to the specs in the plans... it hasn't broke yet Smile
Hi Dave,
Now that I'm building the first Weekender I've messed with in some years, -I had the same feeling as you about the bowsprit. Maybe it's a little on the heavy side. I'll pay more attention this time and pass on the dimensions that look right and area still big enough to bang into things with. (Sometimes I'm tempted to lace a boxing glove on the end just for a little extra attitude around the marinas).
Thanks, Peter.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  I like the transom hatch on your new weekender.  Can you give us a quick tutorial on construction, incliding dimensions?

Dave