BYYB Forums

Full Version: Types of cloth for epoxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Paul,

For the joint  we were discussing in the other thread, what sort of cloth did you use?  Dynel?  Also what's your preference for brand of epoxy this application.  (for that matter, for the rest of the boat?)

Thanks,

David G
http://web.me.com/dafydd1/
Dynel should never be used for anything other then abrasion protection, as it has no physical strength, in fact it's quite stretchy. Biax is best, because the fibers lay flat and aren't interwoven like cloth. On a lightly loaded part in 1/4" plywood, regular cloth is fine (both sides of course).

All the major formulators of epoxy produce a product within a few percentage points of each others in physical properties. No one brand is better. Some are slightly clearer, some have less viscosity, others less prone to blush. Non-blushing is handy, but I dislike epoxies that are too thin, it takes longer to fill a weave

Do some leg work in your area and see what's available. On line suppliers can offer pretty good deals.

My personal preference depends on the job.I have several different formulations and a few different brands that I use. I have a proprietary super slow that's made locally and am part of a coop which lowers our cost when we buy materials and supplies, including epoxy.