BYYB Forums

Full Version: mast box - Yea or Nay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a conversation with Paul about the mast box on the Weerkender.  Intuitively I understood the possibility of rot in this enclosed space so I put 3 coats of epoxy over fabric on the inside of the box to protect and waterproof.  I have not installed the box.  Paul feels strongly about the issue and suggests a "step and partnes" approch to setting the mast.  Has anyone had trouble with rot in the mast box, or used the step and partners setup for the mast?  He also suggests weep holes at the base of the box if I go that route.  Seems reasonable.

Dave
I say "yes" to a mast box.  It allows you to remove/change out the mast if appropriate.  Also, for me at least, I couldn't get the boat in or out of the garage with the mast stub attached.

What I did to reduce the chance of rot was to cut drain holes in the bottom of the box and added a plug to the bottom of the box so that it was level with the top of the mast partners.

I also added a dam on the deck and put blocks on the mast to keep water running down the mast into the max box.  Additionally, I fiberglassed the inside of the pieces of the mast box before assembling them.

Andrew:  It looks like you put a "bottom" on the mast box, making the bottom of the box upon which the mast rests even with the mast collar. The collar would then be as effective in providing supprot for the mast and box and any water can drain forward over the mast collar.  Am I right?  If done as per plans, the water would have to climb the 1/2" thickness of the plywood mast collar, defying all laws of physics in the process!

Dave
I have always gone with the tabernacle way.  It sticks up only a few more inches with the mast folded and you can rig much faster at the ramp.  Also, it is water tight at the deck so no rot.  You can see photos looking through my blog on construction if that helps.
(08-10-2009, 01:20 PM)Dave Blake link Wrote: [ -> ]Andrew:  It looks like you put a "bottom" on the mast box, making the bottom of the box upon which the mast rests even with the mast collar. The collar would then be as effective in providing supprot for the mast and box and any water can drain forward over the mast collar.  Am I right?  If done as per plans, the water would have to climb the 1/2" thickness of the plywood mast collar, defying all laws of physics in the process!

Dave

Exactly.  That and the fact that the plans do not include any sort of drain for the mast box I believe are the main causes of rot.  If you do go with a mast box you need to plan on the fact that you WILL get water in there.
My main objections with the box is two fold, first is the mast rake can't be adjusted and second, when you put wood inside wood, with limited ventilation, in a moist environment, it's just a matter of time. Just condensation from the morning dew is enough to eventually cause issues. Considering the number of complaints about rotten mast boxes, I've seen over the years, it's not an uncommon issue.
Dave  I vote nay. Put a nice big coller at the bottom and one at the top. Make the stump long enough to clear the cabin,put a tabernacle on and mount the mast. It wont make much differance if you make your mast a little langer so the boom won't hit you sitting down, just measure down from the top to place your hardware. Put a couple of holes in the bottom coller (bottom) bacausse it will still get water in it if you are lucky enough to get to user  your boat reg. Just my 2 cents wrth Bud
I did as Andrew above.  I put a plate in that the plans didn't call for and I made sure that I had enough drain holes to make draining the easiest path for water.  I also put a wood collar around my mast with some caulking that acts as a gasket.  My mast is powder coated aluminum pipe currently so it is round.  The wood collar just dresses it up some.

I have looked at the enclosed nature of the mast box and think it would be an excellent place for a small 12 volt fan that runs off a small solar panel.  It would basically run when ever exposed to light.  Moving the air around the mast box would have to help.  A 12v fan and panel would be cheap.
That's pretty much what I envision Bud, nothing fancy, just a step and a partner. Less pieces to buy, cut and install, no place for rot to hang out and less weight. Either a stump for a tabernacle or the whole mast, makes no difference. An aluminum tubing is an excellent idea, lighter, more durable, rot proof, water proof, can have a tapered upper section for looks. Good job Terry.
The mast, gaff and boom are all aluminum pipe.  All are powder coated light grey and the gaff and boom are smaller diameter then the mast.  I asked a local wood turners club if they would make some round plugs that fit inside the pipe ends and they were kind enough to make me 2 sets for each pipe.  The only cost for the wood plugs was a promise to take the young fellow that made them sailing when the boat is finished.  I will one day make wooden versions.  Soulds like a nice winter project.  I don't think the aluminum will degrade or wear out but I want to try a birds mouth type build and the wooden versions would look great in some "show off" situations.  Also theres the creak and grown of wood that adds to the ambionce or sailing.