BYYB Forums

Full Version: Introducing Myself
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
How are yall doing?
My name is Brian D Walters just call me bri ive been watching yall for quite some time now and i must say you folks have built some really beautiful boats and i hope yall can maybe talk me through this project
ive been contemplating for a long time.
i bought some plans for a vacationer about two years ago and have been saving my pennies ever since, i finally have enough and plan on making first cut this weekend, ive got to get some wood first and then figure out all this lofting stuff :? i do have a few ideas of my own and a couple i may (if i dont offend anyone) borrow from some of yall.
I feel as though i know all of you as i have been visiting this site for about three years now and i must say yall are a bunch of good folks.
I am from sumter south carolina and im an equipment operator/mechanic
ive been sailing on and off since i was a teen only small craft though
really small i had a scorpion kinda like a sun fish thirteen and a half feet
but i had to finally put her down a couple years ago as she was just plain tired.
i was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of skill saw blade
would be good for cutting the keel?
again i thank yall for all the help you have given me and hopefully will give me

Brian D Walters
Welcome Brian, the Vacationer is a great boat to build and sail. Most of us have deveated from stock on our builds. What kind of changes did you have in mind? We've all tried lots of things and can always offer our .02 cents worth of advise.
Word of warning: boatbuilding is addictive. This might be your first but it won't be your last! Ideas is what this group is all about so borrow away. You should use a circular saw with a fairly aggressive blade to chew through the wood quickly. You will be shaping the keel later (rounding, sanding, etc...) so don't worry about a smooth cut.
Welcome aboard Brian,

Glad to see another southern builder around here. I launched my Vacationer back in Sept 05 and it's been great fun sailing her. If you ever get to the Atlanta area look me up and we'll try to take a sail. The SE fleet is having a messabout in FL at the end of the month and you are welcome to join us. If anything can get you building it will be seeing other boats and meeting some of the other builders.
As far as blades you want to always use carbide tipped blades. For ripping lumber with the grain you want to go with a blade with fewer teeth. For cutting across the grain use a blade with more teeth for smoother cuts and less tear out. When you start cutting the plywood get the one with the most teeth you can but still make sure they are carbide or you'll just burn up the blade and your wood.

Lofting is easy and the plans explain it well. If a point doesnt look right and your curve isn't fair then check your measurements again or move it a bit till it looks right. Most things can be fudged a bit without any bad results. Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress. If you have any questions just ask and you will usually get an answer

Keith

Brian R Walters

This could be confusing, with two Brian Walters' on the board... could also be A LOT of fun if we wound up in the same part of the world for a messabout...
From the pm you sent, it sounds like you've got some great ideas for your boat...
Welcome aboard - this place will make you crazy - if you aren't already!

Tongue Tongue

a.
And I just thought that I was loosing it. :roll:
Welcome Brian, even though I though I had already welcomed you. :lol:
ARRGH! Welcome aboard, me heartie. Come on down to Indian Pass and get a real taste of this bunch.
HEY Brian

Welcome to this insane cyber boatyard

Kayakarl
Good to meet you Brian,

The Vacationer is a great boat. I have built a Mini-Cat, and have recently acquired a Weekender, but I have the plans for the vacationers which may yet be a project for me as well.

Good luck & Welcome aboard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6