BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lazarette deck hatch...thanks to Andrew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, congratulations to Andrew and his launch!  A great story.  Actually, his Weekender prompts my question.  I've attached the transom, completed the deck and glassed all the parts (except the keel!).  I'm almost ready to attach the deck, but I need to mount the lazarette front first.  I'm thinking of cutting our the lazarette access panel before fitting the lazarette front in place.  Is the shape and dimensions in the plan ideal, or does anyone have a better design?  Also, I really like the idea of a deck access hatch into the lazarette.  Andrew: I assume you cut the hatch after mounting the deck.  What did you do with the panel joiner?  What were the dimensions of the hatch?

Dave
Dave - thank you for your kind comments.

I had to look at some old pictures to remember what I did on the lazarette and aft deck.

Since I used over-sized stringers (actually 2X4s cut to shape), I didn't use a panel joiner here.  After mounting the deck - and fiberglassing, I cut out the hatch as big as I could fore-and aft and I believe about 10 inches wide.  Later I added some 1" pieces of wood around the edge of the hole and then fashioned a cover to fit.  With the odd curve of the deck there, I used my stationary sander to work the pieces to fit.  I hinged it on the port side and put a latch on the opposite side.

It's a little bit big, but I have big hands and being able to see/reach everything while under way was a great thing.  Also, my backup plan was being able to steer by reaching through the hatch.  I didn't "quite" have to do that.  I lucked out that it still gave me room for the eye-bolt for the mainsheet and doesn't interfere with the wheel, but it was a close call.

I found a picture of the hole from the underside that might help ....
Dave,

The hatch opening in the front of the Lazarette is functionless in the finished boat. I cut it out and covered it with a piece of plastic, I haven't opened it since. I tried to rig the steering through there lying on my side in the cockpit with one arm and the top half of my head stuck in there, not only did I not get anything rigged, I had to wait till someone came along to drag me out by my feet. I ended up installing two screw-out deck plates, one over each block on the deck, and I just reach through these to service the steering. They are waterproof. My advice would be not to cut any of the openings shown in the plans in the seat faces or the lazarette bulkhead. The hatches leak water into the inside of the boat and can't be sealed properly. I installed two more larger screw out deck plates in each hatch door thingy, then glued the hatches shut. They trouble me no more. You want your cockpit to be an unbroken smooth-walled tub, because the second you put the boat outside, it will rain and never stop raining. Might as well make it all watertight right now.
(08-04-2009, 04:25 PM)Keith Shergold link Wrote: [ -> ]You want your cockpit to be an unbroken smooth-walled tub, because the second you put the boat outside, it will rain and never stop raining. Might as well make it all watertight right now.

That's why I have a hard cover for the cockpit and a drain.  I have to lift the bow of the boat up about 18" for everything to run off but it stays mostly dry.  Mind you, I normally have it covered with a big sheet of plastic and the hard cover is mainly a "just in case" for snow load and also for if I ever do haul the boat any distance.
Thanks, guys! m Keith:  Do you have a photo of the access panels?  I plan to build my seats like Phil did in his Weekender "Aloha"  More access...no leaking!  http://pragdata.com/philboat/ConSeat.html

Dave
Hi Dave, I do not have any photos of the panels in the seats, however I have a picture of some dork sailing my boat shortly after I finished it (outhaul? what's that?) and you can see the little screw-out plastic deck plate on the port corner of the aft deck. This screws out and I can stick my arm in there and tighten the steering rope.
[attachment=1]
Thanks, Keith.  I understand the arrangement.  So you vote for no access panel in the lazarette front?

Dave
Well, I've never used mine for anything. Maybe as an inspection panel, or something, but I'm having trouble thinking of what there is to inspect in there. It's sort of empty space. You'd have to be a pretty small guy to get enough of your body through that hole to be able to work on any of the steering stuff. I vote for the little deck plates instead.
You'll want it to find those small bits of the steering that will fall off at an inopportune moment, and to mop up any water that makes it's way in due to steering failure ...
Yeah, I was thinking about modifying my answer a little, I haven't used it for anything YET, but I did include it in the build because I was thinking, this might be one of those things that I wish I did later. Just because I don't use it now doesn't mean I won't later. Do seal it up well though.