BYYB Forums

Full Version: Cut the cabin off of my weekender???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't posted in quite a while since I have finished building and started sailing.
But I am faced with a conundrum that I would like to float out there.

It turns out that I mainly use my weekender as a daysailer and rarely (never) as an overnighter so I am thinking of making the cabin removable. I was thinking of building it this way originally but opted to keep it simple and build as per the plans.
So what if I simply cut the cabin off right at the deck level and then installed a coaming along the inside edge of the deck where the cabin walls used to be. Then, when I wanted the cabin back on, it could slip over the coaming (and possible attach to it).

Two questions:
1. Do you think this would alter the structural integrity of the boat enough to be an issue?

2. Do you think the cabin would hold it's shape after it is cut off? I would add a brace across the hatch opening when I remove it just in case.

Any ideas or comments appreciated.

BTW, Andrew - I am excited to see you are launching soon. You will love the toe rail. It was a lot of work when I did mine but I am very happy I did it. Looks great and incredibly functional.

Thanks,
Steven Goodman
s/v Isla
Hi there,

If I'm remembering right, the Weekender built in Hawaii by the Stevensons had a removable cabin.  You may be able to find some photos of it on their site.  If I had to guess, you may want to add stringers or something to the base of the cabin on the outside for stiffness, as 1/4" ply isn't all that rigid.

Open boats are a lot of fun, and the cabin on a Weekender is pretty cramped.  If you were so inclined, removing the cabin and adding a full boom tent would provide more room, store in the boat, and you wouldn't have the extra chunk of boat lying around when not in use.  Just tossing out ideas.
You'll need to back up the coming with a carlin, but the Weekender will survive fine and several have been done this way.

The removed cabin is a different story. I suspect it'll lose a fair bit of shape. With the aft bulkhead gone and cabin sides just flopping in the wind, not much to offer support off the boat. On the boat, it could be designed to fit over the new coming and dogged down with a few pins.

Weekender size boats are really too small for a cabin anyway. A cuddy is more realistic on a 13' LWL boat anyway. It would offer a shelter from a passing storm, a place to toss gear and a porta-pottie, plus it doesn't eat up as much cockpit space.
I suspect Paul is right about the removable cabin flopping in the wind.  Although the Weekender cabin is small, it's contribution to the look and saltiness of the boat can't be ignored!

Dave
I think an open boat or one with a cuddy will be more practical and just as salty. A boom tent has standing headroom and much better ventilation too. A couple of feet added to Weekender's cockpit has to be a welcome addition.
Yes, I think I will attempt this project this fall. I will try to document it if anyone else wants to give it a try.
Regarding the cabin with no boat attached, I will add a few braces that can be removed when the cabin is on the boat but that will help it hold its shape when it is not on the boat. I think that should work without being too much of a pain. It's not like I am expecting to pop this thing on and off within seconds. It will be a decision based on each outing. Is this a cabin trip or a non cabin trip? I do have a feeling it will default to a no-cabin position unless I feel I want the cabin.

Regarding the "saltiness" of the cabin, I do agree that the cabin has a nice look to it, but what's the point in a salty looking boat that is sitting in your driveway because the cockpit isn't big enough to comfortably take out two friends for a sail. I'm not saying that function must always come before form but there is more than one way to have a nice looking boat. I would like to think that I won't mess this project up so badly that the entire aesthetic is ruined. (Although that is possible) And I can always put the cabin back on. I see it as the best of both worlds.

I actually laid in the cabin for a half hour or so last night to try to figure out the best way to tackle this project. It's kinda like a moaning chair, but lying down. It seems the hardest part will be trying to figure out where to cut the cabin off and then how to do that so it doesn't look like it was cut using a beaver as a cutting tool. I love a good problem to solve.

I'll keep you posted.

Steven Goodman
S/V Isla
Weekender has always been crying for more cockpit room. A cuddy or cabinless option would solve this issue.

If you use a carlin, say a two layer laminate of 3/8" x 1.5" pine (or other suitable lumber) bent around the coming opening, attached to the side deck and beams, will more then enough stiffen up the deck. This will eliminate the need for braces. This wouldn't be the first open boat of this size or arrangement, so you're not venturing into deep waters here.
I agree with you that the cabin takes up too much room.  During the building of my weekender I decided that there wasn't enough cockpit room so I removed the cabin bulkhead and installed seats from front to back.  I put plywood braces inside the seats to support the hull about every 18 inches and cut the deck so it was a nice curve instead of having the indentation for the cabin.  It's kinda hard to explain but I will try to post a pic.
That's about how I'd do it, though I would have continued the curved seat box faces to the forward bulkhead (a minor consideration). Now, you have a very usable interior and can seat a crowd.
I like the open concept and can see it's usefulness.  I sailed open with a boom tent many years, made an excellent camp cruiser.  If I was ever to do it I'd still leave the option of the cabin area floor space so I could use a boom tent and camp aboard.  Maybe folding seats of some sort for the forward guests day sailing.  I still like the cabin better for our needs.  We almost always sail as a couple.  You load this boat with too many bodies and it becomes a slug.  I think it is the smallest boat I'd like with a cabin and it isn't perfect, but works for two people just fine.