BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Boat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are some pictures of a boat I designed to be a fast row/sail boat light enough to easily cartop. I am a little further than these pictures show having painted the interior, reshaped the mast to be shorter and skinnier, and made the rudder and daggerboard. Still have to make the sail, oars, push/pull tiller, some sort of seat, and removable floatation blocks. I wanted to keep the interior as open as possible for weight, maintenance, and looks. Purple wasn't my choice of colors but the paint was left over from another project (waste not want not). The blue is painters tape.

[Image: image083.jpg]

[Image: image081.jpg]
Scott

Nice little boat.

What are the numbers??
LOA :?:
Beam :?:
Weight :?:

Kayakarl
It looks a lot like the Black Berry that I built and looks like a fast one.
12'5" LOA, 3'9" beam, and probably about 50lbs (have to get a scale out). Need to take a picture from the side so you can see the shearline and the shape of the bottom. She is flat bottomed with a fairly generous upward turn at the stern to help keep the bow down despite different loads. Really gives her a long sleek look that does say speed but also that I will have to be careful moving around in her.

Ed, I am not familiar with the Black Berry boat. I searched for a long while for a row/sail boat that satisfied my needs but didn't find one. I wanted a longer waterline than a pram for speed (including glide) but wanted less beam than is in most 12' skiffs. I also keep her to two sheets of plywood both for economics and to keep the weight down. I am very pleased with the results not having put her in the water yet.
Is it safe to assume we will be seeing this boat in FL. Looks like she's almost ready to see some water

Keith
Hey Scott,

Looks good.

Will you be using your lug sail on this one?

Any thoughts about tieing the dagger board trunk back to the hull at the top? Looks like the board might be able to lever the whole assembly loose over time.

That purple paint isn't left over from your Ohio kitchen remodel is it? Confusedhock: Any word of a sale on the old homstead?

Jim
Keith, I don't know if I will be bringing this boat to Florida. I want to test her on local waters before trailering her six hours. Don't know if I will be finished or able to find the time to take her out to the local lake. I will most likely be bringing Little Gem, my 12' catboat.

Jim, I was going to tie the daggerboard trunk into the top of the boat but, once I got the board in there and tied to the midship frame I found she is plenty sturdy enough. If I can hardly get it to flex by bracing my body against the sides and pulling, then I don't think the water will be able to flex it. However, I still am going back and forth on that issue and a small brace might appear there sometime in the future.

The purple paint is leftover from repainting my flying mouse before giving it to my father-in-law. He is a KSU Wildcat from way back and loves purple. He also lives on a lake and this gives me something to do when I go visit! We still own our Ohio vacation home primarily because nothing has sold in the area in the past five months. However, we have three folks who are making serious noises of interest so....
Here are some pictures taken today. The rudder and daggerboard will be painted purple to match the hull this week. I also need to varnish the standing rigging and sew up the sail. I hope to launch her weekend after next.

[Image: image009.jpg]
[Image: image016.jpg]
[Image: image019.jpg]
Looks good Scott!
Nice looking boat Scott, and WOW that's what grass looks like. It's been so long I forgot :lol: We still have two months before the white stuff, and hard water is GONE up here.