BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mainsail up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For the first time, I've got my mainsail hoisted.  My heavens - these "easy" things end up being quite a bit of work.  There's two main issues I believe I'll need to address - the lacing I've used appears to bind on the mast - especially at the tabernacle, and the two blocks for the peak halyard bind with each other.

The other "whoops" - running the throat halyard the wrong way was an easy fix after I pulled the mast down.

Then - because of the weather looming over me, I had to take the time to put everything away and button it up.  I'm looking forward to a stretch of days when we don't have the constant threat of rain.  We never seem to get enough rain, but it's always threatening.
Andrew From looking at the photo I think you have it laced what I call barberpole, around the mast at every eye. If this be the case try it this way. From the  gaff make one end fast to the gaff,then with the other end go through the top eye in the sail around the mast through the #2 eye now go down the sail to the #3 eye not around the mast at the #3 eye go around the mast to #4 down to #5  not around the mast #6 around the mast to #7 ect. This has your line holding at every eye with only half as many wraps around the mast and should solve your problem. For the tabernacle hanging your line when you start up try to get all your wraps that you can above it and just live with the one below. I am not understanding what you mean about your gaff blocks. Post a little more info please. Hope this helps some. Bud.
Thanks Bud - I'll give that a try.  The method I was using is the one in the attached picture.

The problem I had with the blocks for the peak halyard was that the way I rigged it had the two blocks right next to each other with the sheaves in line.  The line that was going into one block was rubbing against the line coming out of the other.  I believe I've solved that by putting another quick link in to try to separate blocks by a bit.
Andrew  If your fix doesn't work there are two things you might try #1 use a double block at the top of the mast. #2take the two blocks of the gaff bar and use a bridle. when I use a bridle I like to use a fiddle block on it,but it will work with a single block with a becket Bud
YEAH Andrew!!! She's lookin' fantastic matey, you must be so bloody excited. what a pretty boat ya have there.
Congratz on such a wonderfull job.

Brian.
Thanks Brian - now if only the weather would cooperate so that I can finish it.  Once finished I won't mind a bit of wind and rain, but it plays havoc when rigging and painting.

Konrad

Looks like a million bucks.  But I have ask, what's that odd little flag on the stern..?  Big Grin
It's what some of us Kanukian's call the "Pearson Pennant" - I would have preferred a Union Jack but some of that rebellious sprit from the southern colonies spread north and people felt they wanted their "own" flag.  Can you believe it - they don't even sing God Save the Queen in the schools any more....  Wink

BTW - after a bunch of reading - which I seem to do more than building these days, it seemed to me that the "proper" place to put a flag was with a stern post.  So I fabricated a bracket to hold one of those car-window flags.  To keep the flag in place I had to run a screw through the it's bracket to lock it in place otherwise it kept blowing off.  Looks pretty good I think.

Brian_Watford

Dont know if it is the same in the North country but it is also acceptable to fly Old Glory from the peak of the Gaff.  Looks real good there too.
I think the actual rule with a gaff is on the stern when the sail is down, but on the gaff when sailing.
Pages: 1 2 3