BYYB Forums

Full Version: Attaching the hull bottom to the keel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I glassed my hull bottom on both sides and attached it to the keel with epoxy glue (epoxy + 50/50 wood flour and silica).  I got nice squeeze out throughout the length, except a couple of spots where the keel fairing maynot have been perfect.  No daylight shows through and I can force some glue into the voids.  My qustion is, should I run some glass tape in the joint up onto the keel a bit, as well as the bottom, or would a substantial fillet be all that's needed.  I dont want water getting in the joint, but this is a "low trauma" are on the boat, not like the stem or keel bottom.  The fillet would be quicker and easier, but is it as good as glass in this spot?

Dave
You should use a fillet of epoxy and wood flour and then put epoxy saturated glass tape over all.  I did this on my White hall and it makes a nice smooth transition.  This shot shows the keel all preped and ready for cloth and tape.