BYYB Forums

Full Version: Reforming the Erie Fleet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I've been wondering if there are enough boats and builders in the area of the Erie Fleet, Ontario, Michigan, and Ohio being the main areas, but neighboring states are more than welcome.

Andrew's just about ready with his Weekender, I'm about to begin a quick dinghy build or two.  Any other boats and builders in the area?  Getting a group sail together at some point this summer would be a great opportunity to swap stories, compare modifications, and tell lies about how fast our boats go.  ;D

I've posted a note in the Erie Fleet forum asking for a headcount of those interested, but that forum's been unused for too long so I thought I'd toss it out here to see if I can drum up some attention.  I hope the economy hasn't driven everyone out of the area. Wink
This summer is probably out for me.  Most of my available vacation days are planned (20th anniversary).  The other question is the tow vehicle - I need to see how it performs before I commit to a long trip.

Fortunately we all (except my son) have our passports so the border shouldn't be an issue.
Damn just like old home week or something.  8)

Hey Stuart, who did you get to pose for your photo. ;D
Nice Angie, real nice.  Wink  Actually, that's a cropped version of a very cleaned up me from a caribbean cruise two years back.  How goes MD, anyway?  Still enjoying shellfish fresh from behind your house?

How's the Pearson doing?  Sure is nice seeing familiar names again.  It's like coming home after a long time away.
Not to worry, Andrew.  Until I get something that floats, I'm out of comission, so I'm in no hurry, next summer's soon enough for you to grace us with your presence.  I've been waiting this long, another year won't kill me.  By then, I may well have two smaller boats I can tow finished, and a weekender replacement in the boatyard.  I can only imagine your concern about towing the weekender out of a launch ramp.  I have an extra 250 lb above the limit on your car, and I still get nervous on long trips, though I never worried during day sails.  It's all the extra stuff that ends up in the boat that tips the scales.  Provisions, clothes, cooking gear, boom tent, spare parts, etc., makes for a much heavier boat. 

During towing, I loaded as much as I could into the car, but a family takes up a lot of the space, so bulky light stuff always landed in the boat.  I'm considering several designs for a weekender replacement and all seem to be around the same weight, give or take 100 lbs or so.  I'm probably going to build something in the 250 lb range first to give me something to sail and camp cruise on while I build the bigger one.  That way, I would be able to tow Devon's pdracer, my intermediate boat, and camping gear for extended vacations.  There would still be weight spare for a second pdracer when Bridget gets the itch, if I could figure out how to tow three boats on one trailer.  I suppose I could car top one, as they're under 100lbs., but even so, all three boats would be less than the wekender.

As for passports, I really need to get that done.  Definitely before next summer, and hopefully before the end of this one, so that I can come up for the various holidays.

Good luck on the launch!

(06-29-2009, 01:18 AM)Andrew_Butchart link Wrote: [ -> ]This summer is probably out for me.  Most of my available vacation days are planned (20th anniversary).  The other question is the tow vehicle - I need to see how it performs before I commit to a long trip.

Fortunately we all (except my son) have our passports so the border shouldn't be an issue.