BYYB Forums

Full Version: Painted!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well - she's painted and I'm re-assembling the fittings.  Basically just the sails and running rigging to finsh now.  If July 1st is nice I hope to get that done then and launch the 4th otherwise launch date might be pushed out another week.
Beautiful!  I love the toe rails.  I plan to incorporate them in my Weekender.  I guess I'll use fenders toprotect the boat, especially since I'll have a place to attach them!

Dave
Looking good.  Just out of curiosity what kind of paint did you use?  I'm getting close to painting time on my weekender.
I've become a big fan of Tremclad rust paint (a Canadian brand).  In the US - Rustoleum has a similar formulation.

These paints have a very opaque pigment meaning less coats are required and very good adhesion.  I'm fortunate in that the company I work for sells product into the paint industry and so I was able to pick the brains of one our chemists over lunch one day.  It's thanks to them that I found out that their primer has the same formulation as their paints, just perhaps an even more opaque pigment.

I use cheap brushes which I wrap in plastic so they can be used over multiple days and then I just let the paint harden and throw them out.  I figure that's better for the environment then washing them in a solvent and then dumping that.

A lot of people prefer a latex paint and while those paints do dry to the touch quickly and have water cleanup (putting the chemicals into the waste water stream), they don't actually fully cure and harden for up to 30 days.  Given good conditions, the rust paints that I use will be pretty much fully cured in a couple of days.
Andrew, that's what I used only it was the Ace Hardware brand.  I am very happy with the results.  It's still holding up well after 4 years.  I just touch up the keel when I get home from a trip.  There's bound to be some scrapes.  I'm a believer!