BYYB Forums

Full Version: Getting ready for a messabout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Weekend weather has been nasty around here for the past month or so. Finally the weather was nice and work was done on the boat. I had a place on the stem that the glass was blistering so I removed it and finally got it back together. I need to sand and paint but soon the Whippoorwill will get wet again. I also found out that one side of my trailer needs bearings. The set that it has now are 1 1/16" and it's supposed to be 1". It's amazing I haven't had a problem with it. I still need to work on a keel guide of some sort. I don't know if everyone with a vacationer has problems loading but I gotta get it worked out in order to sail solo.
I went shopping for berth cushions this weekend as well. Foam has gotten very expensive thanks to Katrina and oil prices. I do have padding in my boat now, but the padding in my wallet is a lot thinner. I made the cushions myself and they turned out pretty good I think. I'll find out how well they sleep soon. If anyone in the Atlanta area needs upolstery fabric there's a place in Covington called Ocho. They have really nice stuff and it's cheap. I paid $5 per yard for the cloth I got compaired to $20 at another place.
[Image: dscn2014.jpg]
Confusedhock: That looks great Keith.

Ask Pop about trailer bearings, he has had a bear of an experience getting ready to head down to the Messabout. :lol: :lol: Boat building teaches one all sorts of things---- like patience.

I'm getting ready too, doesn't look like I will finish the house I am working on but a gal has gotta do what a gal has gotta do. :wink:
Your boat is truly beautiful. I like the new cusions, looks very cozy.
That looks great! When are you heading south? Might be a good idea to convoy especially if problems occur. I had a set of bearings blow out on a NY turnpike and was very glad for the help of the person I was convoying with.
Scott, I'll probably head out very early friday morning. A convoy would be a good idea if your up to it.
Bud how about you? If you wanted to you could stop over at my place for the night thursday and we could hit the road together. I don't know what your plans are but that would break up your trip a little if you're heading down I-75.

Keith
I was planning on driving down on thursday since I have to come back on Sunday. That would give me two days free from driving and open for sailing! So, doesn't look like we will be able to meet up on the road either way...
Keith I am going to try to leave thursday,but I will go down I-59 through Birmingham. I'm going back to Alabam. when I see you I will tell you a story about bearings hubs ect. that will make you wet on your self. Bud.
Kieth, they make little rubber nipples to fit on the backside of the bolts along the seatee wall so they don't poke or scrape you, might be something you are interested in.......... check with West.
Angie has a good point about the rubber caps for your bolts. They also sell them at Home Depot or Lowes.
I knew I should have photoshopped those bolts away. I need to cut them off with a ziz wheel I just haven't felt like getting metal dust all over cabin. Just one of those many little things I still need to take care of. I was in a huge hurry to get it done in time for Buds messabout last year and there were a few things that didn't get done that should have. Is a boat ever truly complete?

Keith
Pages: 1 2