BYYB Forums

Full Version: Glassing the hull
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm ready to glass the hull tomorrow night, at least one side.  What I need to know is how much cloth should I leave to wrap around to the deck? I realize that at the widest part of the boat I can only leave an inch or two. But towards the bow and stern I can leave more.  I'm thinking that 2 to 3 inches should be sufficient.  Also, do I need to wet out the wrapped around piece on the deck.  I was thinking I should use the wet method on the deck wraparound since it will be upside down. Can I leave the extra couple inches hanging and epoxy it after I roll the boat right side up?
Well, just an amateur suggestion here Van, but when the epoxy is still "green", you can use a sharp knife to trim it, so you not just let it cover the sides and not wrap it under onto the deck? Just let it cure until it is not sticky anymore but still a bit soft, then trim it flush with the side/deck joint. Then when you flip it over and glass the deck, you can let it overlap a little the other way, then trim that edge too, and it will all look nice and smooth. I don't think you need a big overlap between the separate sheets of glass cloth.