BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member to this forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am glad to become a member of this board.  I am a retired Coast Guard engineer who spent many years working in boating safety, helping boat builders to meet the Federal standards.  I am also a long time member of the American Boat and Yacht Council.  I have even managed to build a small boat in my back yard.  You can see it on my boat builders web site at,  Building the FL12 http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fl12.html.  It was pretty simple stitch and glue construction, but the unique part is I built it on a picnic table in an RV park, where we were staying.

I hope I can lend some knowledge and experience to this forum.  I also believe that I still have a lot to learn about boat building, and there is no better way than from other boat builders.
She looks great Peter.  Sounds like you had a lot of fun building her.  What's next???
Thanks Craig

I have been messing about with a design for a 13 foot sailboat, which I designed over 20 years ago for traditional construction when I was taking the Westlawn course, but never built.  I'd like to build it in stitch and glue. I made some changes and then built a model of it and it didn't come together very well so I am modifiying it.  I hope to actually begin building it sometime this summer. I'll have to scan the drawings so I can post them here.
Here is the lines plan

[Image: sailboat13_Linesplan_a.jpg]

I think I finally have the problems worked out.  Now I need to draw it full size and see what happens.
Very interesting, keep us inthe loop on this project.  How long have you been retired?
I retired from the Coast Guard the second time (as a civilian engineer)  in Oct 2004. The first time was in June 1989 from the regular CG, so  I guess I could say I have been retired a long time. But I keep busy so it doesn't seem all that long.Â