BYYB Forums

Full Version: Fairing the hull
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've rolled my weekender on its back and am preparing the hull for glassing.  I've been filling, filleting, and sanding like crazy for 2 weeks.  My question is how perfect does it have to be?  I've been going thru the forums and it looks like I'll be doing the same thing again after I glass it.  I'm wondering how much should I do.  I'm especially wondering about the bow where the hull sides hit the keel.  I ordered my fiberglass from Duckworks but they aren't shipping till the 15th.  I've got time to sand it but it's pretty hot here in Arkansas and I don't want to do more than necessary.
Do you want a "show" finish or a "workboat" finish, you have to decide.  I went workboat and then went sailing Smile
There is no "show" about me.  I just thought if I did a good job before I put the glass on then there would be less work after.  Also, when it's in the water nobody can see the hull anyway.
The smoother you get the hull before the 'glass goes on, they easier it will be to fair afterwards.

This said, most folks haven't a clue what fair is, nor how to get it.

Block it down with a long board, up to 100 grit at a 45 degree angle to the chines (do a cross hatch pattern). Of course fill in any imperfections and low spots along the way. Lightly apply a dark primer over the boat and let dry. Then a light coat of primer over the whole boat. Long board the whole hull again. The areas where light colored primer remains are low spots that need to be filled. If you've long boarded the whole hull and have pretty much just dark primer showing, it's pretty fair. Use solvent to remove the primer (if necessary) or apply another few coats and continue on to painting her up.

Getting a show finish is very difficult and near imposable for the novice. A very nice finish can be had if you religiously use just a long board and work the whole boat from end to end. A good building primer will fill the scratches left by 100 grit paper and the finish will be as nice as you can apply. Jitter bugs, DA's and orbital sanders are for rough work. Finsh work has to be done with a long board or block and by hand.
You can sand forever and never get it perfect. Get things smooth and start the epoxy. Once the glass is done then get out the primer and longboard to get things really close to perfect. Just remember that the darker the paint the more flaws show up. As Paul said a good building primer will help a lot when painting. After the primer is on you can get some spot putty and fill any small places that show up, and they will. Another thing to remember is that after you put all the time and effort into making the finish as close to perfect as you can, you're going to launch this boat into the water and bump into docks, scuff it on the trailer, drop the forestay and watch as it smacks the side of your fresh paint (it will leave 3 small nicks by the way). Take a look at it from about 15 feet away and see how she looks, most flaws will only be seen by you

Keith
Keith, you are so right.  I have a chevy avalanche that I bought new.  I took great care of that truck and then one night a hailstorm hit.  After the damage was done I didn't even wash the dang thing.  Awhile later and after 400 bucks it's back to new and I'm washing it every weekend.  I'm gonna do the best I can on this hull and not sweat the small stuff, it's gonna get f(*&#&#(@ up sooner or later.  Thanks for the insight.
I just finished a boat. I can see flaws all over it, the owner thinks it's spectacular. 99% of the people who see it will be impressed, so don't bog down on the finish, you've plenty of other stuff to screw up, before it's done.