BYYB Forums

Full Version: Toe Rails Installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working out of my scrap lumber pile and ran out of spruce/fir lumber that was salvaged from a renovation project.  I "did" have some really nice long straight-grained cedar 2X2s though.  I ripped them town to roughly 1" and they make nice looking toe-rails.  The wood bent into place with nary a wimper and certainly should be root proof.

Off to apply a bit more "boat in a can" to fair the sides and then hope to paint next weekend.
Looks good!
Hey,  those look nice.  Was this your idea or have others made the same modifications.  I particularly like it because gives you a good place to get your toes caught, just before you go over the side.  The all the crew has to do is just pull you back on board with a broken big toe, and only your upper half will get wet.  Just kidding...

What color are you painting her.

Cheers,

Tom...
Nice Look!  The supports are screwed and glued from underneath the deck, and the rails screwed to the supports from the top side? 

Dave
I first saw toe rails on John Abbot's weekender (he doesn't post any more) a number of years ago.  The struck me as a good idea as they allow water to leave the deck.  The big advantage of this was being able to have the fiberglassing on the deck go over the edge and down the sides giving a really good joint and seal there.

To attach them, I nailed the blocks (no screws - gasp) with finishing nails and glue (PL Premium) to the deck trying to follow the curve of the deck panels.  The toe rails are nailed and glued (Titebond II - less mess) to that.  With just small nails and glue, the toe rails seem to be quite solid.  I wouldn't try to hoist the weight of the boat with them, but they should be able to manage to hold fenders.

The colour scheme I'm going with is "recreational white" for the hull and brown for the rails and spars.  The only bright finished bits will be the wheel, bow sprit and hatches.  I like "recreational white" since it's an off-white that still looks good when it gets a bit dirty.  It's a colour that comes with the Tremclad brand rust paint I've been using.
Andrew, wow, while I've been gone, you've been busy.  Your weekender looks good.  Does your little car really have a 1000 lb. towing capacity?  Makes me feel a little better about my small tow toy.  I've got a 2000 Olds Alero.

I can't wait for you to be on the water and sailing.  One of these days, we've got to get together on the water.
The Echo is rated at 750lbs towing capacity.  I figure that if I keep the load in the car to just myself and my son (getting bigger every day) we should be good on overall weight.  The big concern is during retrieval - but I have a variety of backup plans for that.  Test runs have gone very well.

We definately have to get out sometime.  Depending on how the Echo performs I might brave a visit down to Pymatuing to meet up with you and the Stumpf's

Do you ever get up to Ontario?  I believe you have family up my way.
Hi Andrew.  At 750 lbs, I would have been kinda nervous, but my cars I've used with a 1000 lbs capacity have all been older, so wear on the vehicle would have had as much to do with it.

As to me coming in to Ontario, thanks to the new passport or Nexus card policy, we're locked out of the country for a little while.  I have to get that taken care of, but to be honest, I expected them to push the change back yet again, and had other things that the money needed to go towards.  Now that the rule is in effect, I'll probably just get the nexus cards, 100 bucks for two adult cards, kids are free, and I get the fast lane crossing the border.  I'll let you know when I've got that taken care of though.

With me being land locked until the dinghy's are done, I haven't thought much about Pymatuning this year.  I looked at the CABBS website laste week and didn't see CABBS week listed.  I'll have to get in touch with Jim and see how things stand with that group, his Kingston 15, and his family.  The dinghy's sound like a week or so to build, and I've got nothing but time lately, so I'm just waiting to get the cash.  Two weeks or so more waiting is what it sounds like, then its go time.

When's launch anyway, or are you keeping that date floating?  I can't wait for the pictures and the tale that goes with it.
David:  This is the thread on toe ralis

Dave