BYYB Forums

Full Version: Calling all procrastinators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started working on my Pocket Cruiser a few months ago and, as a side project, I am writing a monthly column about the experiences of a novice boat builder for Duckworks, the online boat building magazine. For an upcoming column I would like to talk about some of the barriers amateur boat builders face, both before and after they start to build their boats. 

Of course, there are logistical and financial issues, but I know from experience that it can be hard to move from the “dreaming” to the “doing” phase. Some of us spend years looking for the “perfect” boat. I also recall being nearly paralyzed by indecision when it came time to pick plywood (marine versus ACX) and glue (epoxy? plastic resin? Titebond III?). Once building starts, some of us (ahem) find that it’s easy to procrastinate and spend too much time worrying about small problems. We might also feel overwhelmed by the size of the project.

Do any of these issues sound familiar? If so, would you be willing to share a story or offer some advice that I can include in the column? I’ll talk about my own trials and tribulations, but stories from other builders, new and experienced, would add a great deal. For example, how did you pick your boat? How do you make time for the project? How do you keep going when it’s no longer fun?

Or maybe you know what it’s like to be stuck in a rut and don’t mind admitting that the boat is going nowhere fast.

My first introductory column will appear June 5. This piece will be for July 5. In the meantime, I’m also writing about my project on my blog, http://buildaboat.wordpress.com/

These projects are all a labor of love, and an antidote to my professional work as an education writer. I’m fairly new to the BYYB community, so I hope posting this request for  is appropriate.

Paul

Hi Phil!  I too am just starting my Weekender, but I've spent hours agonizing over some of the very points you raise:  the wood, the glue, the plans...all before the first cut!  I'll share what I can as I go along.  I think what may be helpful to newbies like me is info explaining that there's no "wrong" way to do something, but there may be several "right" ways.  Glue choice is a perfect example.  But the novice builder may believe there's only one way to go!  Leads to a lot of anxiety!

Dave
Dave,

Thanks! I agree that boat building is (from what I can tell) both an art and a science. When I started building I assumed that all I needed to do was follow the plans and that a boat would magically take shape. So I blamed myself whenever I was off by, say, a quarter of an inch and worried that the boat was ruined. Eventually, I came to realize that discrepancies are inevitable and that the plans are, like the pirate's code, "more of a guideline." But I wasted a lot of hours worrying about my imagined mistakes. This is a small insight that I want to emphasize.

Paul
Hi Paul,  I have read with interest your blog.  It is good reading.  I will follow along as you go and try and contribute and observe.  I want to start the Vacationer fairly soon.  Only constraint I have is no place to build it yet and most of my money is going into building the place to build it right now.  I am building my Dream Shop/Garage/Boat Shop.  It is here: 

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/albu...4289RZQefQ

I am going to get my last boat out of storage this morning and get her ready to take to the Lake Pepin Messabout next weekend.  Haven't even had her out of storage since Nov. 07.  It is here:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/343787168XtFZhA

There are several more albums devoted to this build on my webshots page.  From beginning to end and some side journeys too.

You bring up some interesting points about following all the steps and all the frustration of things not fitting etc.  My plan came from Glen-L, their 17' Whitehall.  My Whtehall is just over 20', so you see, I deviated quite a bit.  I never really gave it much thought.  Just decided on how to make the modifications to get what I wanted and just started.  For quite a while, my son's (grown up) thought I was building an Airplane.  For me everyday I worked on the boat were days of modification and compromise.  I just thought it was part of the process.  I never have been able to follow directions worth a hoot any way.  The idea of taking Tab A and inserting into Slot B to get product C has never been in my vocabulary.  Can't force myself to do it if my life depended on it.  I am constantly looking for a different (better) way.  Sometimes I find it, sometimes not.

Lead on my friend, I will assuredly follow.

Regards,

Tom...
Aye Mate I love yer Blog, my whole building experience is on my website under progress on therapy at...
  brisboatyard.com
Feel free to use any of it you wish, If you have any questions just ask away.

Brian.
Thanks, guys. You gave me a lot to think about and use in the column. I agree that boat building requires a fair amount of self confidence and daring-do. Part of the reason I worry about making "mistakes" is that I don't know a great deal about boats. Any part that's  not on a Sunfish is probably new to me. So each step forward is like groping in the dark. I spend an inordinate amount of time staring at the plans so that I understand what I am doing.

Paul