BYYB Forums

Full Version: Novice Weekender Builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning to build a Weekender.  I've purchased my plywood and have access to some ash and one plank of red oak for the keel.  I am aware of the concerns, especially regarding the red oak, about rot and the unsuitabitly of those species for boat building.  My question is this:  Is it truly suicidal to use oak/ash in the keel if I plan to trailer the boat, store it in an enclosed garage and avoid prolonged water exposure?  Any help appreciated!  Thanks, all.
Red oak isn't that bad unless you compare it to white oak.  Lots of boat have been built with it, mostly local work boats and in water it lasts sometimes decades if painted well etc..  I have built parts of boats with it and it is fine.  Build with what you can get and go sailing.
Thanks!  I'll plan to start with the ash/red oak keel.  My take is that most agree not to glass the keel.  should I poxy over the screw/nail holes holding the keel together?
I would do that, then sand smooth.  This three piece keel needs to be water tight, otherwise water can seep into the seams.  I built my keel as a single piece and am now changing it to a different shape (see my blog).  Have fun, getting started is the hardest part.
Why would you not glass the keel? I'm nearing the glassing stage and was planning to actually put two layers on the keel.
There are two problems with glassing the keel.  The main one is that the large dimensional lumber boards will expand/contract with changes in humidity and temperature.  This can cause the fiberglass to crack and allow water behind it where it can do more damage which is the second issue.

With that said, I fiberglassed my own keel but it's made of plywood which is more dimensionally stable, and because of voids, potentially more subject to rot.  I also put a steel grounding strip on the bottom of the keel - but that's another story.  I haven't launched yet, but the keel has held up well for several years in all sorts of weather.
I think the idea is that if water does get in there the damage it causes will be hard to detect and harder to fix, and the fibreglass coating will hold the moisture in. I'm not an expert but that's what I've heard. I guess if you strike the keel on an underwater object and crack the glass coating the water will get into the laminations and be held in there by the fibreglass. If the keel is just painted wood then you can gouge it a bit and that won't happen. I've heard that the 'glass won't keep the laminations from moving as the boat ages so you might as well leave 'em easy to fix when they do move. I dunno. I just followed the plans and didn't 'glass the keel. I've had to fix it though.
Glass over big pieces of lumber isn't the best way to do things.  Large lumber "moves" from heat,water, just about any reason to bedevil the builder.  The movement isn't a problem, but if you try to stop it by covering it, then there could be problems.  Sooner or later water will get in and under your glass coating, then, big problems.  This is not the same with more or less stable plywood.  Painted wood isn't the "rot factory" some think it is so don't be afraid of going this route. I have a boat over 16 years old, left in the water each season, no glass, no rot.  I'm sure there are as many suggestions as answers so I hope others chime in on this.
Alright guys, You've pretty much convinced me not to glass the keel.  Should I seal it with epoxy before painting? Also, do I start the cloth up against the side of the keel or where the keel joins the bottom? Sorry to throw so much at you but I'm getting close.
Roll your glass over the fillet and then down the sides. Do not epoxy the keel either.  Just use a good primer and paint and let it dry out when on the trailer.  Glass it and warp will be the least of your problems with it. Happy building.. 8) 8) 8)