BYYB Forums

Full Version: Sans Souci Keel Modification.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Those wishing to follow this project over the next few weeks can keep tabs here:  http://web.mac.com/ryersonclark/Site_3/Welcome.html
Click on the blog.  Other finishing work will be also posted.
Cool . . .
I am curious,  what was the reason for the keel modification.  Was the old keel worn or rotting?  What kind of wood was the original keel and what kind of wood was the new modification?

Did the modification make the keel deeper?

I am getting ready to make the Vacatiner and all this info really helps.

Thanks,

Tom...
Hi Tom,  The reason has nothing to do with rot, the boat has seen only one season.  The keel on these boats is good enough and sails ok.  It doesn't sail as well as I (and some others) think it could.  The new keel (check my blog posts) will make it about 3 inches deeper.  The new keel should point a bit higher, have far less leeway and tack smoother and faster.  We'll know in a few weeks how this works out Smile
Ryerson,  I just ordered my keel board.  3X16X20' solid white oak for my Vacationer.  What has your modified keel ended up adding to the total depth of you keel?

Is the bottom parallel to the bottom of the boat or does it follow the original curve of the old keel?

BTW,  the pics on your blog don't open completely at least when I try an view them.  If I save them to my computer, then I can view them.

Tom...
Hi Tom,  The new keel adds about 3 inches to the draft.  It follows the line of the old so isn't as deep at the stern end as the bow.  I will try this as is, but if I feel it needs work after testing next week, I'll bring the stern of the new keel piece down to match the waterline level of the boat.  As far as I know Tom, my blog pics work fine for everyone, it's just a webpage so shouldn't not work??  Maybe your browser needs upgrading?  If you are using internet explorer, that isn't a great browser, lots of bugs in it.  Firefox is free and works a charm.

I like your idea of using a one piece keel, it makes so much sense to me.  Good luck and I'll post here sailing test results soon as the ice is off the bay, the mooring is in and I just need to do some small paint work on Sans Souci to launch, likely late this week.
Ryerson,  I always use Opera for a browser.  I have Firefox,  it will try it.

Can't wait to hear your views on the new keel.

SWAMBO and I are taking our Whitehall out to the river to fish this afternoon.

Should be intersting,  I am not a fisherman.

Will take the scuba cam along and maybe get some good shots of eagles or something...
I have had an hour test sailing the new keel and don't have much to report yet, but will by the end of next weekend.  For now I can say the helm is much lighter and she almost spins on a tack, very comfortable to sail.  Last evening winds were light but steady.  Once I get out with one of the other weekenders from here I'll know more about pointing and leeway.  They "feel" better, but not enough time aboard yet in various conditions to know for sure.  One thing for sure, the change did no harm what so ever and did improve handling and tiller pressure.  More to follow, comment welcome.
Helm pressure should increase proportionate with wind strength Ryerson. It's a good sign that the helm feels "lighter" as this indicates there is less resistance. The modifications should make her "twitchy" in comparison to her former self. Not a bad sort of thing, just more responsive.

If you get a chance, note the amount of tiller angle (compared to the centerline of the boat) you need to hold a steady close hauled course. In the light conditions your were in, you might need just a couple of degrees of rudder deflection to maintain a straight course.

When I first "tune up" a boat, I usually place some tape under the tiller, marked with degrees up to 10, on each side of the centerline. It's simple enough with a protractor on the inside of the transom. This lets me see at a glance how much rudder deflection is needed to hold her close up and straight. Less then 5 is the goal and there are several adjustments you can use to "dial in" the helm.

Good job and congratulations, now how about some pictures.
Thanks Paul, last night there was hardly any deflection and even though the winds were light, at times I was doing 3-4 knots close hauled.  It handles now more like my old boat, so no worries about twitchy, feels "right".  I never got how to post photos here, but anyone that wants to take a few from my blog and post is welcome to, otherwise, just check my weekender blog.

Might get out this evening again for an hour but the weekend is when I should be able to give it a good run including an overnighter.