BYYB Forums

Full Version: Jib furling system plans???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know of plans to build a furling system for a jib. I have been following them on Ebay, there quite pricey. I think I could design my own, the task would be simpler if there were plans, or diagrams to work from.
Greg a number of the folks have come up with inexpensive designs for fullers. Most of the posts I expect went the way of the wild goose with the crash. Possibly they still have copies of the e-mails. Guys??? With my new sprit extension I can’t reach anywhere near the fore sail tackle when underway so I am becoming more interested in this subject also.
Here's a link for one:

http://web.archive.org/web/2003061300552...furler.htm

Here is a discussion about it on our old forums: http://byyb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=279&forum=2
I created a new forum called SHop Tips, Jigs & Modifications. I moved your post there. It will be a good place to start getting a list of these sorts of posts. I would like to see more modifications, tips and ideas getting posted here. It makes it easy for people looking for something specific to find an answer.

Thanks for the post Greg,

and Thanks for the link Richard.

Cheers
Greg,
I've designed and built a luffwire furling system for the Weekender which could also be used on the Vacationer based upon one in use by Capt. Jake here in the South PUget Sound area. It is a simple spool with a swivel below it and one for the top end of the luff wire. The entire system attaches behind the forestay so the forestay still carries the load. It raises and lowers and tension is controlled by the jib halyard. It is easy to build, relatively inexpensive and works like a charm. If you would like to discuss it drop me a PM and I'll get the info to you.

This has been an ongoing discussion for the last 3-4 years ago and there have been drawings posted here and on the other forum as well as practical tips on how to get them working well for you.

The advantage to a luffwire system is that you can use it when you want to, or use a standard jib on the forstay. NO tubes to have to put on the forestay or tension to have to deal with to balance the forestay/mast. Just raise it when you want to use it and coil it up and stow it when you are not. Works on the same basis as the Harken, Schaefer, RWO, etc. Luffwire systems. But you can make it up from CPVC parts and a small wire spool and a couple swivels.
Thanks for the info Barry, that looks like the system I had in mind. The materials list also won't break the bank.

I'd like to run the stock jib on one stay and the furling jib, of lapper size in front of it. Similar to Mike Penington's Aurora Wolf rig. Maybe he'll post a picture of his boat, on this thread.
The challenge will be having enough space for you to tack with both flying at the same time. Getting the Lapper to clear the other stay is the challenge. Not impossible but all has to be really smooth and nothing to potentially hang up on the sheets or the clew. Also nothing to catch on the stay. Otherwise it is furl the lapper and tack and then set on the new heading. A little awkward but not overly so. Generally you want about 48" minimum between them for the foresail to work around the staysail.