BYYB Forums

Full Version: Attaching deck to stem of Pocket Cruiser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished cutting the deck boards for my Pocket Cruiser and am ready to attach the stringers along the edge. Looking ahead, however, I'm also trying to see how the deck attaches to the stem. The instructions only say that I should screw the deck to the top of the stem, but it doesn't say how far forward it should be positioned on the stem. Also, won't the stringers get in the way? Should they be set back from the tip of the deck so that there will be a "notch" into which the stem can be inserted? This is a small concern, I know, and might be resolved once I have everything assembled, but it's bugging me because it seems that so much depends on correct placement of the deck, especially when I need to get the bulkheads to fit. I like to clearly understand upcoming steps in the building process so that I can avoid errors, but the diagrams aren't giving me any useful information. Any information from Pocket Cruiser experts would be appreciated!
Paul It has been 5 years since I have done this job but the best I recall there is a note in the plans to how much you cut off the points.  I will dig out my plans and see if I can find the answer asap. Any way you will have to make your top fit your bulkhead, you have a notch in each edge of the bulkhead and your stringers will have to fit there so what ever that takes, place both panels on the deck and see what it looks like. Post back we will get this job done. You are going to love this boat it is a big little boat. Bud Smile
Thanks so much for helping with this! Any information you have about the deck placement would be very helpful. I'm looking ahead in the directions for information, but all I can find is this: "Then the Deck Assembly was carefully lifted in place onto the top of stem at the front..." Does this mean it sits flush with the front of the stem, or part of the way back?  Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm guessing that placement of the deck on the stem determines, among other things, the angle of the transom and the correct fit of the bulkheads and side boards, so I was hoping for more detailed information. Since this is my first boat, I'm overly preoccupied with every small problem.

I asked Pete Stevenson about my concerns regarding placement of the deck on the stem and just received a very helpful response. I thought I would pass along his clarification for current and future Pocket Cruiser builders.

To recap: I was wondering how far forward I should place the front tip of the deck on the stem. The instructions were not clear. Also, I wondered if the stem should be notched (as it is in the Weekender) so that the deck will sit flush with the top of the stem.

Pete told me that the plans should indeed show a 3/8" deep notch 2" into the top of the stem (this is where the centerline for the short stem begins, as shown in Fig. 2 of the Pocket Cruiser plans). This solves the problem of deck placement.

I also asked about another potential problem. Looking ahead in the plans, I wondered about placement of the panel joiner between the port and starboard deck pieces. It seemed that this panel joiner would get in the way of the mast box, the mast box collar, and the forward bulkhead. I finally decided that I would solve the problem by *temporarily* joining the port and starboard sides with some scrap wood on the top side of the deck, then cut and glue several custom-cut panel joiners to the underside *after* I attached the mast box, collar and bulkhead. Pete seemed to think this would work.

I haven't tried any  of this yet, so let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.

I went back and looked at the plans tonight and can’t seem to find a place where it explains how much to trim off of the deck before attaching it.  I don’t know that it is correct, but I’m pretty sure that I trimmed the deck to fit the stem using the stem gusset width and angle as a guide.  I attached the deck to the top of the stem gusset, but not the top of the stem.

I’m having trouble uploading pictures so I’ll see if I can send them to you directly.
Take care,

Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the information, and the photos. I also tried to post your photos, but without success. I wish everyone could see your work. The boat looks great both inside and out.