BYYB Forums

Full Version: Two Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  Is there any substance that can be squeezed out of a tube (caulk) that I can use to cover the 10000 screws in my hull?  The epoxy/filler thing is very time consuming. There has to be a better way. 
Next question, what weight fiberglass cloth do I need to cover the hull and deck and is the amount in the plans the right amount?  Thanks for any help.  If I can figure out how to post pics I'll show you what I've done.
  I am building an open weekender and plan on hitting the water next spring.
I don't know of anything in a tube that you can use to fill the holes with. You want something solid under the glass and not soft. You could use bondo but it's not a great filler because it absorbs water. Good Luck
Keith
Thanks for your response.  I figured that there was no easy way to do this.  Nothing has been easy on this boat.  I guess I'll have to use epoxy/filler to fair the hull.  I knew not to use bondo.  I'll roll the hull soon and glass it and hopefully it will hit the lake next spring.
Fill the screws with epoxy and micro balloons or silver tip fairing compound.  Each sands real easy.  They don't need to be filled real good as you are going to cover the holes with epoxy and cloth anyway.  Fill but not like auto body work fill.
(05-17-2009, 06:51 PM)VanSavage link Wrote:  Nothing has been easy on this boat. 

Heh-heh. Wink Don't let it get to you. They are brought into the world kicking and screaming.
What is silver tip fairing and where can I get a gallon? Thanks for the help
http://www.systemthree.com/p_st_quikfair.asp

The link is above for the web site.  It will be avaliablew at Wests or Boat US.  It is pretty pricey so you may wish to mix you own fairing compound from micro balloons and standard epoxy.  This stuff is just premixed.  For small needs it is great stuff but I don't know it the price is worth the effort for a big fairing job.  Look it over had judge for yourself.  Happy building.
There are a number of new products or more accurately, dispensers available now. System Three and West System both offer a cartage type delivery system. They load into a conventional caulking gun and have a special "mixing" tip that screws on. For small amounts you can just squirt into a cup and mix or you can use the tip and it comes out pre-mixed, ready to apply. They're available in different mixtures. If you have a bunch of fillets to do in one shot, it's an option. Of course you're paying more for the packaging and delivery system, but it could be handy, including filling holes.