BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hoops vs Lacing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mast (which is 2 laminated 2X4s with a strip between them) is 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".  The diagonal measurement on this is 5" so it would need a 5 1/2" ID ring to work reasonably.  Because of the cost and effort (I'm lazy AND cheap), I was thinking of trying lacing.  I've found a variety of instructions on the web.

What are other's experience with this?  I've heard that the lacing can be hard to get past the tabernacle, but then I've heard that about hoops too.
I use cabbie seat cover beads and a piece of cable crimped together put those on you mast and attach your sails to them. You can tie them on or use wire tie wraps for a quick setup and sail removal. That worked better for me than lacing and it's cheap. The wooden beads break sometimes so might want to try to find some good looking plastic beads that would last longer.

Keith
For a bead setup, the coolest one I saw that seemed the best use of materials was one where the beads were made from HDPE dowel. A 1/2" or 5/8" dowel of HDPE was cut into 1/2" long sections, each with a 1/4" hole drilled along it's axis. A 3/16" high quality line was rove through each and a simple knot secured it to the sail, around the mast. It was easily adjustable, the HDPE caused no harm to the varnished mast, it permitted the sail to flake properly (unlike hoops), they're very tough, self lubricating and easily replaced. Wooden beads work too, but are harder on the mast and can break.
Andrew What ever you use hoops beads or lacing will sometimes hang on the tabernacle. my solution for this is put the tabernacle below the boom. If you really are cheap you are going to be using the lacing, so get you about 3 different ways to lace and try a 3 to see which one you like. It only takes about 10 min. to lace a main on so try them all.Bud.
I've used lacing since I launched my Weekender in 2001, and have never had a problem with it.  The back-and-forth lacing method is what I use. 

If you use this method, be sure to use a very soft and pliable line. 
[Image: 3515452052_f202ac4650.jpg?v=0]
Dandy.  I'll pick up some line to try the lacing.  If it doesn't work I'm sure I can use the line for something else.

I'm taking a few days off starting next Friday and am hoping to get to the "ready to launch" phase.

Lacing works great for me, but I have a one peace mast with no tabernacle.
If I had a tabernacle hoops would be better.
That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Peace Out
Karl