BYYB Forums

Full Version: Gene Harm - Weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Gene Harm

Last week with great excitement I receive my weekender builders guide.

Hello, I'm Gene Harm from Florida. The last few years I've been sailing a Catalina 22. This is a nice small trailer sailor but not quite small enough. Besides the fact that the C22 is not a wood boat, I've discovered I'm really fond of wood boats, I can't launch it on my own. So I set out looking for an even a smaller boat that I can launch on a whim all by myself. Although the Vac might ft the bill for this I decided to start with as easy of a project as possible. So the Weekender is it.

Trouble is I promised everyone in the family I get C22 out sailing before I start. I haven't had her out since last summer. The reason why is the leaf springs on my trailer are all rusted out and need replacement.  So this project needs to be taken care of before I start the weekender.

Looking froward to meeting everyone.

Gene Harm
Welcome aboard Gene. If you need any help there is plenty of Great builders on this board and more advice than you might want at times. Start making saw dust ASAP and keep us posted. Bud  :Smile
Ahoy, And welcome to the madness mate.
yes any questions you may have just ask them in the builders bulliten board, and feel free to browse our older logs for info as well.
If I can help you out in any way just ask and I will do what ever it is i can do to help. enjoy your build, and whenever possable post some pics for all to see (we live for that lol).
Again Welcome aboard Gene, I look forwars to watching your progess.

Brian.

Gene Harm

Thanks fellows for the warm welcome. In no way do I feel like I have to go at this alone.
You sure dont. we can answer just about any building question you may have mate.

Brian.

Kurt_Ayres

Greetings, Gene!

We're running on parallel courses!--I own a Catalina 22 (Hull 3243), and will (hopefully) be starting my Weekender shortly.  I love Mystique dearly, but the set-up and take-down times are just too much for daysailing, plus the fact that I live an hour away from the nearest water!  Besides the looks and feel of the Weekender, it's that 15 minutes-and-you're-in-the-water concept that I'm really looking forward to.

Mystique is my first fiberglass boat.  I've built two Glen-L designs (a Console Skiff and an 8-Ball), and am about to finish a 16' wooden jonboat for fishing.  I also have a '73 Glastron V178 I'm doing a major refit on. 

I sort of like boats.

Kurt Ayres
Avon, Illinois

Gene Harm

Hello Kurt,

The C22 is a great boat. It has wonderful cabin space, good performance and lots of support groups. But like you said I can't just take it out for a quick sail. I have to plan ahead with a crew to help me rig and launch it. Bottom line is I don't sail as much as I would like too.

This has been frustrating to me since I live in Florida near the inter coastal waterway. Sailing is good all year long and I have easy access to it, so its a shame I can't just pick up and go. Now I'm eager to get started on the weekender but I promised the family I have the C22 out first.

There lies my trouble.  I have to replace the leaf springs on the trailer first and I have been painfully slow about doing it.

Gene Harm

I got the leaf springs repaired on my C22. A few more minor repairs and I will be back on the water sailing. Soon I will start buying wood for the weekender and should visit this forum more frequently.

Gene
Greetings Gene & Wecome!
It's nice to have a "neighbor" undertaking similar madness. I'm over in Lakeland. It seems somewhat strange to me that there are so few of us in FL. I can apreciate the frustration with the trailer sailer. I was spoiled having a Mac 25 in a slip in Key West a few years back. I cannot imagine having to drag it around and rig/ derig everytime I want to hoist a sail. Like so many in similar quandries, I too began looking for smaller more manageable vessels. I loved my Mac I naturally looked at smaller models. The V222 was the smallest that still retained the same interior layout. I found out the 23' was inspired by older pilot cutters. But still a bit too big and heavy to actually and realistically drag about. I'm afraid she would log more driveway sailing than actual swashbuckling. Once I came across Vacationer/ Weekender, I was smitten. I have been full time soccer dad for the last five years and now that my boy is in school full time I hope to start making sawdust next spring. Gotta get back to work first to resupply the coffers. Wish we could've seen the current unemployment coming a couple years ago! Not the best time to be trying to reenter the workforce. It'll come together, though. Look forward to meeting and perhaps flotilla! Though not new to sawdust I am complete neophite in regards to boat building. Perhaps we could share "learning" experiences! There are a bunch of nice folks here with plenty of info available. Don't forget pics, pics, pics!
Again, Welcome Aboard!

Smile
capnpablo

Gene Harm

Hello Paul,

I'm surprised to hear from someone else in Florida, and so close too. The economy is going to slow down my progress for awhile as well. Once I start though I'll start posting. It sure would be nice to see a weekender in person before I start building though.

Gene
Pages: 1 2