BYYB Forums

Full Version: Can't find double pulleys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Obviously" if I went to the boaty stores I could find double block but I'm a hardware store / farm supply store kind of builder.

Looking at the rigging diagrams, and remembering the rigging on my old MiniCup, the double blocks merely serve to give a place to tie off one end of a line.  Could I just tie off the line to the eyebolt that I'm mounting the block on instead?  Has anyone given it a try?

Pulley shopping certainly has been an adventure in pricing and selection.  After checking the limited supply and selection at my local stores, I finally broke down and went to Lowes and Home Depot.  One had fixed pulleys, and one had swivel but neither had both.
I don't know that anyone would use a double pully just as an attachment point for the end of a line.  I suppose its possible but unlikely.  Your plan is fine, an eye bolt or a strap of some sort is perfect solution. 
I bought my double pulleys from our local Home Hardware here in Yellowknife, they were about ten dollars.

Greg
Greetings All,

I think we have a language problem here.  And no, it’s not the Queen’s English vs. America English, but rather Nautical terms vs. common language.

I surmise that when Andrew says “double block” at the “hardware store”, he is referring to a block with a single sheave and two eyes, which would be a “becket block” at the “boaty stores”.

Lifted from a few pages at www.harken.com, we have the following from left to right …

[attachment=1]

146 = single block.
147 = single block with becket.
084… = double block.
085… = double block with becket.

So, we can rephrase Andrew’s question as …

Looking at the rigging diagrams, and remembering the rigging on my old MiniCup, the beckets on the blocks merely serve to give a place to tie off one end of a line.  Could I just tie off the line to the eyebolt that I'm mounting the block on instead?  Has anyone given it a try?

Ok, now we can continue with the discussion …

Cheers,
Tom
Sorry Tom - not a becket - a double block.  Quoting from the MiniCup plans (which I have handy on the computer)
Quote:To hold the mainsheet (the line controlling the sail position) to the hull, cut a 4' length of the mainsheet line.  Tie a single pulley to the very center, then tie a snap hook to both ends.  To rig for sailing,  snap each of the hooks over one of the lift handles at the rear of the boat, then insert one end of the mainsheet through one side of the double pulley on the boom and tie a simple knot so it can't be pulled back through.  Run the free end of the mainsheet through the pulley attached to the hull, then back up through the other side of the double pulley, forward through the front boom pulley and from there back down to the cockpit.

I found the pulley's in the Rona online website but not at my local store.  I'll look at the one in the city after work tomorrow.

Weird how each store has only one style of pulley.
Well, that’s just silly.  The plans are describing a rope bridle (4 foot section of rope running from one corner of the boat to the other at the stern) with a single block acting as a traveler (possibly fixed in the center of the bridle), and a two-part mainsheet.  You don’t need a double block for a two-part mainsheet. Save yourself the money and replace the double block with a single block.  Tie the end of the mainsheet around the boom with a bowline or anchor knot a little astern of the single block, reeve downwards through the single block traveler, then upwards through the rear single block on the boom, forwards to the front single block on the boom, and then down into the cockpit.  A little bit of separation between the tied off end of the mainsheet and the rear block is a good thing as it spreads the load along the boom; although I doubt there is ever much load on a mini-cup boom.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom
I think he is using the double block on the gaff as a peak lift.
(05-02-2009, 04:40 PM)Greg Miller link Wrote:I bought my double pulleys from our local Home Hardware here in Yellowknife, they were about ten dollars.

Greg

Considering the "Northern tax" that's a good price.  I picked a pair up this morning on my way to work from Rona.  The ones I've found in our southern Home Hardware locations aren't big enough for the 3/8" line that I'm using for everyone (got 200 ft for a good price).

I have to double-check the rigging diagram but I think I put one on the end of the boom like I did on the MiniCup and then one for the peak halyard somewhere.  I also got some rope thimbles for where-ever I need to tie the rope to an eyebolt.

I'm taking almost a week off around the May 24 weekend to get some house repairs done and hope to get the boat painted and the running rigging set.  If I can get that done, then I think I can launch.
(05-03-2009, 05:02 AM)tombayus link Wrote:I surmise that when Andrew says “double block” at the “hardware store”, he is referring to a block with a single sheave and two eyes, which would be a “becket block” at the “boaty stores”.

Well - I feel foolish.  It turns out that if you actually "read" the instructions in the plans - something I've not done for a couple of years now - they tell you what you need to know  :Smile

On figure 20, which shows the double pulley used for the throat halyard, it mentions
Quote:Or single pulley with becket, or single with line tied to eyebolt as in figure 23

On figure 24, which shows the double pulley used for the mainsheet, it mentions
Quote:Mainsheet end can be tied either to boom block or deck block according to amount of block-and-tackle purchase desired
  I would presume that as Tom was suggesting that it could be done simliarly with a block with a becket (which I haven't seen with the "hardware store" stuff) or by tieing it off to the boom itself.