BYYB Forums

Full Version: MAST is FUBAR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I put Polar Dip away for the winter I brought the top part of the mast indoor.

I had a look at it on Friday and to my horror the mast is warped beyond repair.

Back to the table saw and time to make a new one.

That is on top of everything else I need to do before the ice breaks.

:Smile
As I said Denis, my shop, table saw, planer, and beer fridge are ready any time. I just have to evict Keenan's Honda quad as soon as the motor is back in it, he got the tranny parts last week.

Greg
Wow Denis, wonder why that happened?  If you need help just yell.
Oh I see. This is what is the matter with your mast. Well, Denis as soon as it warms up if you need to borrow the sawhorses in my boat tent we can build a new mast in there if Greg's garage is still occupied. Let's all help and get Denis' mast finished in a couple of days before sailing begins!
We're game if he needs it.
There you have it

>Sad

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

[attachment=4]

That is the way a lot of 4x4 masts end up.  If you use the birds mouth method they will last forever.  Not at all hard to do and the 1x wood they are made from is much cheaper than clear 4xs.  Give it a try.
Looks bad Denis.  You can also quickly make a new one from 4-1x4 boards, semi hollow or solid.  Just laminate them up.  I have built several masts this way, fast, easy and they last.
Whoo Whee. That thing sure moved. ???

Well, let's get the new one done. Birdsmouth!!!
I have the 3 fairly clear of knot, pieces of 2x6 spruce stock in my boat shed. Denis and I picked them out last week. We 're looking at cutting and planning the stock, and laminate to a 4x4 size. Similar to Ginny Rae's mast, it should be stable. If this cold weather breaks soon, we'll get to working on it, I need to open the shop door to cut and plane the 16 ft stock. I have this week off work, and the weather knows it. Let's hope for the weekend, or next week.

Greg
Pages: 1 2