BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lily Bean Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow... what a fun day!  April 4th the Weekender project that took me over 3 years of sporadic weekends to complete, finally slid off the trailer and into lake San Antonio for the first time.  This being my first boat project...I was more than a little nervous to see if it would actually float right side up and not roll over, like my brother said it would because of no weighted keel.  Well my brother was wrong!  It floated so proud in the water.  Not one leak or builder flaw to be concerned about! 

I was relieved actually that there was absolutely no wind for the first half of the day, so that I could get familiar with how to work the sails and not be concerned about getting blown all over the rocky shores.  Yep that's right,  I have not sailed before so I had to get comfortable with what I have been studying in books about sailing.  One of the people that came to watch the launch said that when the wind comes up and fills the sails it will be intuitive as to how to handle the boat....he was right!!  At about 4:30pm a gentle breeze picked up and that Gaffed Main filled with wind and "Lily Bean" promply responded by gracefully moving over the water with effortless pace.  The tug on the main sheet line and the instant responsiveness of the tiller in my hand gave me goose bumps...I was not prepared for how proud, and energized I felt as the boat moved over the water at such speed.  I love the sound of the water hitting the hull as the boat sails! So this is what people like about sailing...just you, the boat, the water, the wind and the satisfaction that you built it from a few pages of plans and some wood purchased at the lumber yard. 

After about an hour of Sailing, I can now run the boat up wind, down wind, tack, and successfully get back to the dock!  So Sweet! 

Thanks to all for the posts on these boards over the last few years, which gave me inspiration and information to complete this project! 

A special thank you to Adla for building and finishing her boat just before I started mine.  She sent me pictures of her build and let me borrow her plans until mine arrived from the Stevensons.  The fact that she built her boat by herself, gave me the "Belief" that I could do it too! 

Here are a few pictures of the day.....
Wonderful!  I always said you could learn to sail in 15 minutes, but it takes a lifetime to get good at it Smile  Beautiful job and have great adventures on her.
Congrats on the launch.  I'm hoping to be close to mine too.
Congrats Tracy, launch day is always a great feeling. She's a fine looking vessel. What size engine were you planning to hang on that mount? A 3-5 HP should move it along nicely.

Greg
Bravo! Congratulations! Big Grin
Congrtulations Captain Wait, it must feel wonderfull to have gotten it in the water. Now the adventure part begins.
Sandy bottoms to you mate.

Brian.
I
AM
SO
JEALOUS

Smile

I've spent the last 4 months trying to get my house ready to sell so I can have time to build a boat.  Soon, maybe.

Congratulations on the new boat.  Having a fine looking ship like a Weekender for your first sail, and building it yourself is awesome.
Congrats!!!!! She looks great!
I was glad to help...and I remember the first time the wind caught the sails in Morgaine! I had never sailed before...what a thrill. Now, I can't wait to get back out on the water!

Beautiful job Tracy!

a.
Thanks all for the nice comments...!  I now am trying to find a vehicle to pull the boat to the lake.  For the Launch I had to borrow my Dads truck.  The four cylinder car that we own will not pull the boat and trailer up the hills to the lake.

So now the project is to sell the family car and get something to do double duty as a pull vehicle and family vehicle...any suggestions?

(04-24-2009, 07:51 PM)Tracy Wait link Wrote:Thanks all for the nice comments...!  I now am trying to find a vehicle to pull the boat to the lake.  For the Launch I had to borrow my Dads truck.  The four cylinder car that we own will not pull the boat and trailer up the hills to the lake.

So now the project is to sell the family car and get something to do double duty as a pull vehicle and family vehicle...any suggestions?

Look for v6.  I pulled a rather loaded down pop up camper that was much heavier than your boat with a typical mini-van with a v6.Â