BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer bilge keels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Bignell

Has anyone added a bilge keels (twin fixed fins) to the Vacationer Sailboats?
Not that we have heard of.  Got an idea?  8) 8) 8)

John Bignell

With the flat bottom it seems like the Vacationer would be a perfect boat to a have two fins near the back that could keep it upright when you beach, plus shallow waters in a tidal basin become a dry dock for bottom cleaning and repairs. No need for a cradle or jack-stands at haul-out time!
John  My two cents worth. Seams to me that two more peices of dead wood hanging down from the bottom would slow you down more than you would want to give up. Before I did this I would check with Par or someone in the know. Most of the "improvments" I have made to my boat didn't improve, but it does give you something to work on You can go back and fix it like the plans call for. Bud ;D
The Vacationer stays level when you beach her. There's enough boat left in the water that she's still floating. I don't know how much the keels would help or hurt but my recommendation is get building and see how much time it's taking to get the boat made per the plans and if you still want to add to the build time with the bilge keels go for it and let us know what happens. You'll have to find another Vacationer to compare it to though to see what the difference is. Haul her out here and we'll check them out side by side.

Keith