BYYB Forums

Full Version: Wing dingy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gerald_schneberger

There seems to be no way for water to drain from the Wing dingy mast well. Is this a problem? Jerry S
Only if it stays there. Best thing is to unstep the mast and fit a plug to it when it isn't being used. And to tip it and drain it first.

Leaving it there will eventually cause rot and mold to develop. End of mast box and major repair time. I've seen similar designs with a tube that has been placed in the bottom and led out thru the hull with a plug in it to use when underway. Then just plug it before launching and unplug it when you haul it out.
For the mast box on my MiniCup I glued in a piece of PVC pipe just the right size for the mast to fit into with wiggling. The end of it stood slightly up from the deck and I glued a piece of plastic on the bottom of the mast box before putting the PVC in.

No chances of rot or wear with this arrangement. When the boat was being stored a plastic container with a rock on it kept rain out.

When it did get full of water I just turned the boat upside down.