BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rigging Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello...fellow builders!

I am finally within 4 days of Launching my Weekender "LilyBean" and I am now getting all the rigging set up and in place.  This is my first sail boat experience so all the rigging ins and outs are new to me...I have a couple questions that I would appreciate some guidance on. 

1.  I am going with a tiller instead of a wheel to steer by and need some advice on how to set up the "main sheet" rigging since the deck block cannot be attached in the center of the transom per the plans..because the tiller will be in the way.  I know that it will be some kind of triangle setup on either end of the transom but I don't know just how to make that all come together.  So any pictures or advice on how to set that up would be great!

2.  On the plans it calls for a double block to be attached at the top of the mast for rigging the "throat halyard" for the Gaff....but in the illustration it shows just using a single pulley.  Currently I have the double block hooked up, but how is the rope run thru the double? and what do you do with the free end of the rope? Is it tied or attached to the eyebolt as in the single pulley set up?  If anyone knows what I am talking about and can give me some instructions I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advanced!
I didn't rig "normally", but I can tell you think it out, test some lines to see how they run without snagging, make sure that the sail will sheet out without jamming.  Good choice on the tiller Smile
(03-31-2009, 03:54 PM)Tracy Wait link Wrote:I am going with a tiller instead of a wheel to steer by and need some advice on how to set up the "main sheet" rigging since the deck block cannot be attached in the center of the transom per the plans..because the tiller will be in the way.  I know that it will be some kind of triangle setup on either end of the transom but I don't know just how to make that all come together.  So any pictures or advice on how to set that up would be great!

A rope traveler should work. 

http://www.glen-l.com/free-book/rigging-...ats-5.html
Tracy  I think Chris has you fixed up on question one. The rope travler can be rigged severial ways but the one pictured is easy and will work. Question two I will try to explain as best I can. A single will work. I use the double to slow the throat down so it will pull one for one to help keep the jaws from out running the peek. When I get the jaws all the way up then raise the peek the rest of the way. No matter which one you use one end of the line is going to be made fast to the jaws to lift them and the other end is where you are going to pull them up. All my lines run back to the cockpit and I use clospin bags to put the excess in. I guess that is as clear as mud. Bud Wink
Here's the way I rigged my Weekender:

[Image: 3403627855_832c590ede_o.jpg]
Thanks everyone...lots of good information!  Chris and Bill thanks for the illustrations...that is just what I needed to get my mind around the best way to make the main sheet work. 

Bud...so if I understand you right the throat halyard has one end of the rope attached(made fast) to the gaff...just like the peak halyard does?  Did you tie it onto an eye hook or drill a hole and tie it off with a Knot like I did for the peak halyard?

One last question...when you ran the gaff halyards back to the cockpit, did you run them thru extra blocks at the base of the mast or just pull them back loose? 

Thanks for the info everyone...my learning curve is going straight up all of a sudden as I get the project in the home stretch.
Tracy look at how the lines lay as they run back to the cockpit to find anywhere that they could bind or chafe into the structure.  Most of us have rigged blocks near the mast base to turn the corner and then dead eyes from these blocks back to the after end of the coach roof to jam cletes or such.  Every where the lines would rub on the wood or where they would cross each other there needs to be dead eye or fair lead there to prevent tangles/damage. In this manner the halyards and sheets will run free and clear.  Your main and peak halyards will be long with the sails raised so make provision to tidy up all this line.  The clothes pin bag works well as do the rubber clip straps.  On my Vac I coiled them up on my elbow and tucked them under the runs on the coach roof.  It was not too elegant but it worked and the price was right.  After a couple years of using an eye as the attachment for my throat halyard I switched to a bridal rope.  It took the pressure off the throat as it went up the mast making the run up and down easier and with less tendancy to bind when under wind load.  The Gaff Rig Handbook; excerpted onthis site, is an excellent source for finding the how tos on many of these tricks of the trade if you will.  Happy Launch Day!!!!!! 

Woops, sorry forgot where I was.  Frank's site has the Gaff Rig Book.      http://www.messing-about.com/gaffrig/gaffdeat.htm
You might also consider a spreader bar on your mast to attach the stays. Sometimes the gaff will bind on the stays, depending on how you've rigged things.

Greg
You could try a lugsail without stays, hehehe Wink