BYYB Forums

Full Version: Workin' on the trailer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I launched the boat for the first time I've been concerned about the axle and tires on my trailer. The axle was too light and the tires always looked under inflated. After pulling the boat out to work on it and noticing the wheels were leaning in about 10 degrees I figured it was time for a new axle and wheels before I lost my boat on the highway. I paid tractor supply $200 for a new 3500lbs axle and got tires and wheels for $175. After about 1 1/2 hours of work I'm all set to head down the highway and feel comfortable about hauling the boat. 
Now just 3 days after buying the new trailer axle I was on my way home from work and wouldn't you know it, I broke the axle on my F350. It's going to take a lot more time and money to fix that one, damn it!

Keith
I feel your pain Keith, I have a nasty clunk when a shift the 4x4 into gear on my F250. My son and I are going to have a look when the snow goes away in May. My fear is bearing, and $$$$. I've been lucky with the trailer, only 1 blown tire last fall, luckly I only have a 3 mile tow in the spring and another in the fall, for launch and recovery. Don't think she'd handle a long highway trip without some serious TLC.

Greg
Hello Greg, Obviously hard to tell without actually "hearing" the clunk. If you have auto trans and you are getting a clunk when shifting into gear, I would suggest checking rear u-joint at the diff. May not be the problem, but good place to start in regards to cost and relative ease of repair.

capnpablo
Hi Paul, it's a clunk, and grinding metal sound coming from the front diff, most likely bearings, and or U joints. I was working on a friend's  f150 4x4 front end a few years ago, and had to replace one U joint, and bearings on both sides. That's what it looks like at this point, the vehicle still drives, but I limit the 4x4 use until it do the repairs when our weather warms up above freezing. My garage / boatshed has my Vacationer mast, boom and bowsprit being worked on, and I can't stray from that important task for my truck repairs, LOL

Greg

Greg
Roger that! A man has got to keep his priorities straight! Wink
I don't believe a vehicle has EVER resided in my garage. My house was built in 1950's. I'll give anybody a shiny silver dollar if they can show me how to get a 50's era auto in this tiny space. I can't even get my Jeep in there. Holds plenty of crap, though! Going to change from overhang door to carriage type & get mama's greenhouse/ shed built so I can at least make the garage a more efficient workspace. After reading posts on space needed to build Vac, I'm going to have to build temp boat shed.
Good Luck on the truck issue and I don't blame you one bit waiting for spring. Changed a starter once. On my back, in the snow. Gotta do what one has gotta do but I would REALLY rather not do "that" again! Later,

capnpablo
Well I've got a new used axle on its way to my truck. I think I'm going to change it out myself and save about $500. Which is what the rear end cost me. Wish me luck folks, this is going to be a heavy job laying under a truck and changing that thing out. Hey Brian, what are you doing this weekend?!