BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Pulleys/Blocks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all... I am in the final stages of piecing my weekender together for a April 4th launch!  I have been looking around for all the pulleys that I will need per the plans and since I don't have much experience in sailing yet( this is my first sailboat) I am clueless as to which pulleys to get: Hardware store variety (inexpensive) or sailing specific very expensive.  What have you all been using and what has been learned from trial and error.  If anyone has some advice on which way to go and maybe where you purchased your hardware I would much appreciate the guidance.

thanks in advanced
Hello Tracy and welcome.
Your weekender is looking great! You should post some more pictures to show 'er off.
What I did Tracy, was to go to duckworks and got some Race Light pulleys appropriate to the weight they will be holding. I have a few Harken Blocks as well but I think the appropriate Race Light Pulleys that Duckworks sells should be plenty fine, and pretty inexpensive. They are all stainless steel construction as well, so they are going to last. I do have some chrome hardware store pulleys as well, but I do not intend on using them, I must say that I have one holding up my flag in the back yard that has been there for 10 years and does not seem to be worn , but a flag on a pole is no test for a pully on a sailboat.
Here is a link to duckworks pulleys...
[glow=red,2,300]http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/blocks/index.htm[/glow]

Please keep us posted on your progress, I hope this helps you.
Brian Walters
I never rigged our weekender per the plans, but I can add from experience that you should use the best you can afford right now and go sailing rather then waiting for high end blocks.  Just make sure they will do the job.  Our weekender is rigged in a much simpler manner.
Brian and Ryerson,

Thanks for the input...I did see those pulley's at duckworks but did not know if they were able to do the job.  Here are a few more pictures of "Lilybean"
Select the lines you'll use and size the blocks to the line diameter. The breaking and working loads will well exceed the rigging loads on your Weekender.

Ronstan blocks are cheaper the RaceLite, particularly if you don't pay full retail. They also are much better quality, with ball bearing races and side loads.

You could make your own blocks fairly easily and save a bunch of money. The sheaves can be very easily made from HDPE and cut to shape with a drill, clamped in a vice and a couple of files. The bodies can be made of wood (which looks really salty) and any reasonably dense lumber will do. The attachments (beckets, swivels, etc.) can be made from metal strap, but for a real salty look you can use three strand line (rope).

DuckWorks had an article about his process a few years ago. Log onto their site and search "stropped blocks" or "strop block".
 I used hardware store pulleys for the past 5 sailing seasons, and am just changing to higher quality sailing gear for this upcoming season. Use what's available, and affordable.

However on the subject of rope, don't cheap out in that department. I bought low cost, low quality for the various sheet applications, and experienced jams in my rigging constantly. I got better quality rope to replace in, and have been happy since.

You might consider buying various colours, as I did for this year. It will help with non sailing types that travel with you. They'll better understand grab the blue rope, or green rope, than grab the gib sheet, or peak halyard.

That's by .02 cents.

Greg
Yes I agree, get what you can to get on the water without a doubt. Paul I have not seen Ronstan blocks
but I will google them tonight, thanks for the tip (again lol). About making your own blocks, I made 1 and intend on making a bunch more, I used the method in the gaff rig mag. article, and it worked really well here is a link to the article on block making...
[glow=red,2,300]http://byyb.org/gaffrig/ond05/article%20...Waters.htm[/glow]

here are a couple pic's of the one I made from mahogany...
[Image: myblock1.JPG]
[Image: myblock3.JPG]
[Image: myblock2.JPG]
Tracy what awesome workmanship on your boat, she looks fantastic! Your going to be one proud captain when she hits that water. I really am impressed with your shop as well.
Good job mate. Thank you for sharing your pictures, Keep 'em coming  ;D

Brian.
Put me down in the make your own column.  I made mine and it was fun and cheap.  I'm going to varnish them up again this year and get everything ship shape.  You have built a very nice looking boat and I congratulate you.  Not everyone who starts finishes.  Good luck on the launch.
Thanks for all your suggestions...those homemade blocks look great, maybe a thought for next year.  I have given myself this April 4th launch to force me to get the boat done and on the water finally.  All the little rigging and finish details are taking more time than I thought to finish, so I am just going with the simplest at this point.

I will keep you informed of the final stages.

thanks for the support!
An old salt schoonerman once told me, it takes three years to get the boat fine tuned the way you want it, and I have found this true over time.  They are never "finished" at launch.
Pages: 1 2