BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hello from a new guy and a couple of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Herold Driedger

Greetings from a prairie schooner…

No, not the wheeled kind drawn by mules, horses or oxen, but rather a landlocked sailor looking to build another boat.  My first was a San Francisco Pelican, a pram prowed dinghy.  Lot’s of fun!

Most of my sailing (a long, long time ago…) was in a Laser.  Mine was hull #954.  Had to give it up because an injury to my lower back meant I could no longer support my upper body weight when hiked out with only the toes anchored on the hiking strap.  Gave up the Pelican when circumstances changed and I no longer had easy access to a place to sail.  I fell in love with Stevenson’s Weekender when I chanced upon an article on it in “Popular Mechanics” circa 1981.  As I write this it is March 26, 2009.  My Weekender plans were posted Mar 26 1982.  (Where did the time go?)  I liked the whole concept of the Weekender…a boat you could build out of standard lumberyard and hardware store materials…

I had some questions regarding the plans I received, and P. Stevenson was kind enough to respond with answers.  Then the Vacationer was featured…again in “Popular Mechanics.”  I received those plans in April of ’85.  A careful read of these suggested that the jack-knife center-board might be dispensed with on the Weekender.  Reading through some of BYYB’s  archives on the subject seems to support this…at least to my satisfaction.  I feel that the full length keelson plus the hard chine will provide all the control I will need even though I will be sailing on rivers as opposed to lakes.  I would appreciate comments both pro and con on this.

I saw my first home built Weekender in 1987.  The skipper had gone with a tiller (he used a lumberjack’s axe-handle) instead of the wheel.  Knowing how quickly and how often I needed to fine-tune the tiller when on my Laser, this is an idea I intend to incorporate.

So why the posting?

Circumstances have changed again.  I am next to the mighty Red River.  (Not as mighty as the Mississippi, but mighty enough!)  My son-in-law and I intend to make us a boat.  In prep I decided to spend some time on line and see what I could find.  You have no idea how glad I was when I found your site…especially since I saw some pretty neat Weekender pictures.  The one that prompts this post shows a folding mast.  I might be able to figure out how to do this on my own (did I mention my son-in-law is an engineer?), but why reinvent the wheel?  Is there someone out there who can provide me the detail?  Send me an e-mail.

In fact, in reading through the Stevenson site, I came across a reference to videos of the building process.  Unfortunately for me, all attempts to contact the Stevensons either by e-mail, or even telephone has not met with success.  So this question goes out to the Weekender community.  Is there anyone out there who has these gathering dust on a garage or basement shelf with no need to hold on to them any longer?  Perhaps we can do a deal.

Looking forward to whatever info comes back my way…
Welcome Aboard Herold. 1981 what about that, that is the same year the plans for my first boat a Mini Cat (Mini Pearl) Stevenson des were in popular mach. Lots of water has gone over the dam since then. Now about the folding mast. The tabernacle is not in the vedio but I am sure you will get several responses on how to build it.  Mine is built like a peace of 4" tubing  with 3 holes for pins through the sides, the bottom pinned through the stump of the mast the top pinned to the folding part of the mast and the middle to hold the mast up when in use. If you deside on this method post and I will send you the measurements for each peice. Some have used a large gate hinge on back of the mast and a hasp on the frount. I feel sure someone has photo and will post them for you. Anyway the mast is no problem start making saw dust and keep us posted. Have fun. It's a fun build. Bud Smile
Hi Herold,  I just finished a Weekender last year and went with the tiller, quick and responsive, but I think the wheel is also on this little boat.  I went tiller because the wheel is not my thing and I felt it took more work then it was worth.  I also sealed the openings under the seats as others had told me what a pain they were when it rained and filled up.

The keel never looked "right" to me but I built it to the plans (more or less) and found it sailed to windward ok, but not as good as it should (my opinion only).  This season I will be changing the keel to a more conventional cut and will post here how that works sometime in June.

Overall I am very happy with this little boat.  I use a slightly different rig on it, a balanced lug with jib rather then the gaff, again, lazy I guess.  I also use a tabernacle for the mast, the plan version I think is just a water trap for rot.  I have a blog you can view to see the progress when I was building it and the sea trials, look in my signature below.
Welcome Aboard Harold, Glad to meet you.
Unfortunately I do not have any weekender plans, But I am sure someone can help you here. I will try to contact the Stevensons and send them a copy of your post.
yes, look on through our site, and in the archives as well. I am sure alot of your questions can be answered. Or just post and ask away, some one will chime in with an answer.
Again welcome aboard, and most of all enjoy!  ;D

Brian.

P.S. Ryerson it amazes me at how quickly you built your boat she is a fine vessle ifn' I ever saw one. I love your website and love to watch your slideshows. great resource for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Brian, practice, practice practice Smile
Welcome, Herold.

If you are interested in building a boat, specifically a Stevenson boat, you might want to consider attending the Lake Pepin Messabout on June 5-7.  (http://lakepepinmessabout.com/Welcome.html)  I'll have my Weekender there, and Craig Bursell is bringing his Skipjack.  There will also be a couple dozen other homebuilt boats of all stripe, plus their builders to talk with.  On top of being just plain fun, the ideas and tips you'll pick up can really jump start your building experience.

Bill
Hi Harold, I was also enthralled by the PS article in 1981.  I ordered the plan and sat on them for 20 years but finally built my boat and I'm so glad I did.  I've had 3 years of great sailing fun and getting to know people of a like mind.  Good luck to you.