BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender DVD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gary James

Hello All,

I am interested in how useful the Weekender DVD will be to a first time builder. I have been looking into building a sailboat for years but have not ever had the confidence to start. I even ordered plans for a John Welsford Houdini. Looked at them and felt like I was drowning. I love the look of the Weekender but have been concerned about the size of the project so looked at smaller simpler boats. But the Weekender is the one I keep coming back to. I am thinking about ordering the plans, but wanted feedback on the usefulness of the DVD first.

So, can anyone with experience tell me a little about how useful the Weekender DVD will be for a greenhorn builder in actually building the boat?

Thanks,

Gary
Greetings Gary,

Buy the DVD.  Watching Mike and Peter build a Weekender using nothing more complicated than some old crappy drills, a circular saw, a rasp and a screw driver is a real confidence booster.  Somewhere there was a fourteen-year old who built one. 

I let four-year old mini-me do the lofting on my weekender ...

[Image: wk59aN_WeekenderLoftingJames.jpg]

... it's just not that hard.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what's a couple of hours of video worth?

Priceless.

Cheers,
Tom
Like Tom says.  I ordered the DVD but only scanned it for useful hints.  I am an experienced builder and still found stuff in it useful.
Hi Gary, and welcome to our group. The weekender is a great boat and it's easy to build. It's a fantastic first build because of it's ease and good looks. I sailed aboard one that a guy near me built and he had never built anything in his life. It was a little rough here and there but it still looked good and sailed quite well. Buy the DVD and become inspired to build your own. You'll learn a lot from it and it can help answer questions that you may have during your build.
Let us know where you live, there could be a builder across town who you can sail with or see their build. Good Luck

Keith

Gary James

(01-10-2009, 07:27 AM)keithmclean link Wrote:...
Let us know where you live, there could be a builder across town who you can sail with or see their build. Good Luck

Keith

I live in Lake Charles, LA.

To begin with I will sail on Prien Lake which is a small local inland saltwater lake. It is 3 minutes from the house. Then I will move up to Lake Charles which is a little larger. Maybe some day I will try the boat our in the Gulf of Mexico.

I would like to see one or even take a ride in one if possible.

Thanks,

Gary

aaron_stokes

you can't get too much information. after waching the vidio, i felt like i had built the boat before i even started. i recomend bying the dvd. it will be an asset. sometimes when it seemed like the project would go on forever, i watched the vidio, particularly the end where they take it out and sail. it jazzed me up and kept me building.