BYYB Forums

Full Version: Best Figurehead ever, Oliver, and other excessive details on Larinda.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings all,

I finally found one batch of my 35mm negatives (pre-digital epoch) of the photos I shot of the Larinda at her visit to Chicago's Navy Peir as part of one of the Tall Ships Challenge Festivals.

[Image: Larinda_01a.jpg]

Oliver is the coolest figurehead I've seen yet.

[Image: Larinda_02a.jpg]

Oliver is dressed up un John Paul Jones' Navy uniform and holds a spy-glass

[Image: Larinda_03a.jpg]

Some of the other detail on Larinda was exquisite. The bits were carved as dolphin heads.

[Image: Larinda_04a.jpg]

Sea horses lined the steps to the poop deck.

[Image: Larinda_05a.jpg]

And check out the details on the companion way door - the window frames, the fluted door frames, and the way the railing on the back of the rear-facing bench seat blends in to the curved door lintle.  That's Captain/owner/builder/dreamer Larry Mohan with his shirt off.

[Image: Larinda_06a.jpg]

Killer Whales and scallop shells.

[Image: Larinda_07a.jpg]

Of course Larry spent 30 years in his back yard building this ship, so he was bound to carry things to excess.

Cheers,
Tom
30 years in a back yard the size of a football field; it shows though.  i think barnacle Jim is in the running for this record as well  Tongue

aaron_stokes

methinks a poject of this magnitued will likely cause madness. i believe the photo of the captain of said vessel is suggests that i am correct. he looks punchy to me. but i must admit that i admire that man. brass weavles.
Large projects take a long time. I spent several years on a Spray replica and again on a 48' ketch of my own design. Even if you work an 8 hour day, every day, you need lots of days. That's only 240 hours per month, 2880 hours per year. When a project may require several thousand man hours, it takes time.

I estimate it took 11,000 hours for the Spray and maybe 9,000 for the ketch. I managed about 1,500 hours a year on each. This doesn't count crying in your beer time, loafing in the moaning chair, cussing about the pain in your freshly smashed thimb or any thing else, just actual productive efforts.