BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hey, your guys are getting awful quiet up there....:'(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know it is getting to be the hard water season and all but
, a year is a long  time to not hear from you guys.  Whats going on?  Who's building what?  Should I sned out the dogs????  ;D ;D ;D  8) 8) 8)

aaron_stokes

not much going on here.

i no longer have a shop and all of my projects are in the back yard in the weather. i am not in the mood to freeze my butt off. i sure wish i had a garrge. i don't really know what i am going to do this winter.

Rob Kern

Well, as a resident of a qualifying state for the Erie Fleet (Ohio - Buckeyes are just another useless nut!) I guess I'm obliged to respond!

I got my trailer all painted and have the money set aside to put new wheels, jack and winch on it, but lack to courage to actually spend the money just now.  By putting the cart before the horse, I now have a means to carry a boat I don't yet have.

Since I too have no shop or shelter, I am awaiting softwater season to start the actual construction.  Theoretically, I could do some small stuff in the unheated, dank, dark, dungeon of a stone cellar, but that's where I keep my son.

In the meantime I am just busy being thankful that my wife and I both have our jobs and the mortgage is current.  Each night I curl up in bed with my copy of the Weekender plans, or the latest issue of Wooden Boat mag, or a Harbor Freight flyer and doze off to dreams of sailing.

As an aside, some of you who subscribe to Sirius Satellite Radio may listen to Radio Margaritaville from time to time.  I would guess that you have thus been introduced to the music of Scott Kirby.  For those who have not encountered his music, I recommend it for getting you through the long dark winter.
Hi Rob,  Your winter plans sound good.  I was raised in Mi (Troll).  Hardwater season is way too long up there.  I know what you mean about the $$.  Times is tough out here  as well.  Everthing is driven by construction and there just ain't any. Keep dreaming and spring will soon be here.  I got a nice e-mail from Stuart today.  They are doing well and he primissed to drop in onthe board soon.  Happy dreaming....

aaron_stokes

yesterday was sooo beutiful that i was left to brude over my having winterized my boat. and then it came to me! i could comendeer britts boat! i have not gotten around to dropping it off the trailer and fliped it yet and the mast is still in the hole! if the weather is good the day after thanks giving, i am goin! i have never sailed this late in the season. the weather is supposed to be uncondusive for that but not this year.

hey, britt? do you mind? wanna come? ;D
Well,

I said soon, and it's kinda been a fib, as it's been about seven months now, but I'm back.  Still no means of getting back on the water at the moment, but I have a plan, and that's an important first step.  It's outlined in the main forum.

Times are tough indeed, I haven't had steady work in about a year now, and only manage to get by on short runs, so the materials are still on standby, waiting for boat funds.  I think I may be able to get my hands on some in the next little while, so here's to hoping.  Worst case, I'm doing a mock up in miniature to make sure things will work out like I expect.  It all fits nicely in my head, so that's a guarantee, right?

Anyway, this year probably won't see water under the weekender's hull, but I have high hopes at last for next year.  I've become enamored with the idea of dinghy cruising, and with the changes I have in mind, it should be a nice vacation platform for getting away from it all.  If she self rescue's well enough, and with ballast is stable enough, I may even tackle the great lakes on fair weather days ... but that's a bit further off yet.  I think I'll start with local lakes next spring, then the beer cruise, and go from there.  That's the plan anyway.  I hope the rest of you have begun construction, and are in better straights than I am.  Smile

G'night, and I promise, I won't stay away so long this time.Â