BYYB Forums

Full Version: *&%#^@ Computer!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had to replace my computer today. The old one, which wasn't that old, died on me. A heat sink fell off a chip and it just cooked the damn thing. The worst part of it is I've lost all my data that was on the hard drive. I'm hoping to install the old HDD and put it into the new computer as a slave drive. I don't know how it will work though because the old puter was a xp and the new is Vista. If anyone has any knowledge of such things I sure could use the help. I tried already hooking it up but it booted in xp then locked up on me. I pulled it back out and everything is working like it should with the vista again. It may just be getting the jumpers set correctly or maybe I'm hoping for something that cant be done....I'm still hoping though

Keith

aaron_stokes

i have used slave drives from computers as old as windows 95. i have not had any problems as long as the jumpers were in the right spot. i don't know that much about computers but it sounds to me like you are going in the right direction. i don't think the operating system matters as long as the main drive is in charge.

there is a reason it is called "my two cents". you get what you pay for.
It will work.  Vista and XP use the same file system. 
I went out and bought a USB hard drive enclosure and put the drive in it. It's working to some extent. I can access some of my data files but I can't run programs from it. Oh well I'll mess around with it some more and if nothing else get my data transferred and then format the drive and use it for storage

Keith
Keith,  I set up Vista on Sara's laptop and XP and Vista will not live togather. My recomdation is to dump Vista and relaod with XP Pro.  Then again, if your new machine was built for Vista you may not have all the grief I had.  You may need new drivers to get the old programs to run with Vista then again some are just not going to work no mater what you do.  Vista is living proof that Win 95  is alive and not well.  They couldn't even get the DOS part right.