BYYB Forums

Full Version: Sailstic Location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Keith, with Lake Hartwell so low (can't put a boat in the water there) how about scheduling the sailstic on Lake Allatoona?  Remember, I showed you where Red-Top Mountain SP was along the lake with its really nice group camping area in the protected cove?  Went out there last friday with a friend and had a great meal at the lodge.  People could opt to camp or even get a room at the lodge. 

I was asking because we probably should go ahead and reserve the group pioneer camp ASAP.  We can always cancel it later.  I believe it is $25 per night with a 30 person maximum.
You know Scott with the way it is looking at Hartwell, I think You may have a good point.
Thanks for the sugestion.

Brian.
I've got family that lives about 10 min from Red-top mountain. and that area is really beautiful. I don't know much about the camping but the parks are really nice.
My big boat lives on a slip on Lake Allatoona and the lodge is about 20 minutes away from my house but I hadn't realized how nice a park it was until I visited it from the water.  The regular campground is on the other side of the park from the lodge.  However, the pioneer/group camping area is on a little further down the same cove that the dock for the lodge is on.  This is on purpose so groups can get some separation from the other campers.  It also makes it nice for people who want to come and participate but don't want to camp.  The cove lets out onto one of the bigger basins on the lake with a nice sail North past the dam to turtle rock (large rock that does look like a turtle).  You can go even further in small boats that can make it under the bridge at this point.  In the other direction you can go many miles though through to tricky for sailing S bends.  Probably about as open a sailing area as the arm of Hartwell that Hart state park is on. 

Right now Allatoona is about 8' low which is normal at this time of year as the lake is for flood control.  However, we were at full pool this past summer.  I don't see a big problem.  The closest launch ramp is right outside the mouth of the cove where the pioneer camping is. 
That's something to think about. They are expecting us back again next year but if there's no water there's not much point to it. Spring rains could fill all the lakes back up again, last year there was plenty of water by the time June came around. I was thinking about doing a mega at Lake Guntersville State Park where the Glen-L thing was. They have a great facility for boats and the lake is wonderful. Then again red top might be good for that as well. We'll have to get the fleet together and decide when and where on that one.

Keith
what date do you want me to reserve?  We can always cancel later.

Brian_Watford

Does this park have any dock space?
so Brian, does this mean you will be taking up some of this dock space?
Yes, it has more dock space than Hart Park but it is just across the cove from the group camping area.  A very short swim or dingy ride.  Another option could be to raft up to my 26' sailboat that I can beach. 
Not to change the subject but I was wondering if you might be planning another  after thanksgiving sail this year. It sure would be good to take the boat out again
Pages: 1 2