BYYB Forums

Full Version: Florida 120 is May 14th to 17th, 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seen some discussion on the BEER cruise and wanted to float this event by everyone.  One advantage is that May is a cooler time of year.  Also, if interested, go to http://www.texas200.com/phpBB2/index.php, scroll to the bottom where the Florida 120 forum is, and you can register using the secret name of Lee.  Here is the link for a google earth overview: http://texas200.com/florida120.kmz.

The idea for the Florida 120 grows out of the Texas 200. Basically, it is a raid with the objective for everyone entered to finish the course. Each night is a predetermined stopping point which allows for some socializing plus a safety check on how everyone is doing. Wonderful opportunity to grow your navigation skills!

The route for the Florida 120 will be from Perdido Bay to Santa Rosa sound. Tentatively, we will launch from a marina in Perdido Bay and return to that marina so no shuttle needed. This also means we will have windward work hence the 120 miles rather than 200! The itinerary is:

Day 1: Perdido to Sand Island in the Big Lagoon. Day 2: Big Lagoon to Navarre area on Santa-Rosa sound. Day 3: Navarre to Sailboat Cove on the Big Lagoon. Day 4: Sailboat Cove to Wolf Bay.

Each day is between 30-40 miles with places where we can pitch tents on the beach each night. The big question is if we can find a beach past Navarre or camp on the beach at Gulf Shores national seashore. If the latter is the case, then we will make up the distance by plotting a circular course.

One advantage/disadvantage (depending on how you look at it) of this area is there are a lot of recreational boaters around and a significant part of the trip, from Pensacola Beach to Navarre, will have road access to the beach. This means, if anyone has to abort for any reason it isn't that far back to civilization, a road, and your trailer. This is protected water sailing with a handy beach to park your boat should the weather turn nasty.

There will be four classes within which you can finish the Florida 120 challenge each with its own "I done it" shirt and plaque. This is in part to keep people coming back and to encourage people to ween themselves off motors and/or to go in smaller boats.

Class 1: Motorless

Anyone who does the challenge without a motor in or on the boat.

Class 2: Motor Contingency

For people who have motors in or on their boat but do not use them for the entire course...some may ask why these two classes? However, there is a huge mental difference between having motor as backup and not having a motor at all.

Class 3: Limited Motor

For people who use their motor within 300 yards of the nightly stopping points. Especially needed for those with larger boats

Class 4: Unlimited Motor

Just like it sounds...those who want to accompany us and do the challenge but want to use their motor rather than bob n bake or want to do the challenge in a motorboat.

I would prefer if people would committ to one of the four classes at the beginning and not switch during the challenge. This encourages planning and perserverance on the part of the people signed up for the challenge.

As a side note: When I have done the BEER cruise in Pensacola area with my 26' boat I think I would have qualified for Class 3. I probably could have done it as a class 2 if I have had the extrinsic motivation. One nice thing about the coast is reliable winds!
i know i won't be able to to then... school is just finishing up.

aaron_stokes

that sounds like soooo much fun! the vacationer is not done yet but my weekender would work ok i emagine.... it would be tempting to leave the motor behind if we never strayed from sivilization. i think i might be up to it. if i can afford the trip. :-\

hey bill, if you are not using it, can i borrow your chlorox bottle for a few days? ;D ;D
There is just so much beautiful sailing territory in that area that the BEER cruise doesn't use.  We are talking white sugar sands and clear waters with wonderful beach-camping under the stars.  Add to this nice steady coastal winds with protected waters and soft-sand beaches along the whole route and it becomes a perfect location to kick the motor habit.  I am very much looking forward to sailing it in my 12' Little Gem without a motor.  If the wind and waves get up too high, I can always pull the boat up on the beach and wait it out.  If there isn't enough wind, I can beach the boat and call a cab to go get my rig.  Of course, I really won't have to do that either because I already have several folks signed up under the unlimited motor category who are very willing to be support boats.  I have already threatened them with the vision of a chain of small boats being towed astern but they were actually delighted with the image.

As of this thread I have at least 20 boats participating but most are in the class 3, Limited Motor, category.  A good core are from my local sailing club and will be bringing their plastic boats.  I do have a few in the class 2, motor contingency, including the creator of Duckworks Magazine and the Texas 200, Chuck.  I only have four boats in the no motor category which includes myself and Stuart of Nano fame.  Nano is the 8' dingy that regularly does the BEER cruise without a motor.  I really want to add a strong homebuilt boat group.

I am hoping to firm up the details this weekend.  I am going to call a place called Pirates Cove on Perdido bay and see if I can make arrangements for that to be our starting point.  They run a lot of unique events including a homebuilt boat gathering the first weekend in May.  Just need to make sure they have some place for us to pitch tents if needed.

Bill or Craig, I do have another boat that could be used for the Florida 120 if either of you would care to fly in.  The event runs Thursday through Sunday so you could fly in Wednesday evening and out Sunday evening which means only two days of being 'sick.'  Wink
Thanks Scott but it is too soon to tell yet.  8) 8)
Looks like we will be launching at Pirates Cove, classic Florida.  The first and third night we will be stopping near Fort McRee, a confederate civil war fort, for some beach champing.  This is a 15 mile sail from our starting/stopping point of Pirates Cove though some narrows make this a more difficult sail.  The second and third days we wil sail 38 miles to and from some spoil islands west of Navarre where will will be doing some more beach camping.  We will have a fire and hoping some folks will bring guitars and other musical fun.  Same area as the BEER cruise but a greater focus on sailing and enjoying nature at night as opposed to bars.