BYYB Forums

Full Version: This would have been a great sailing story but......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well there are two reasons this can't be a great sailing story.
The first and biggest reason is that I do not have a boat (but I plan to solve this problem soon) and the second reason is that it is very hard to find a boat ramp that is actually in the water.

For those of you who are in the Southeast you may know of this problem. And for the rest of ya'll, you may have heard about it.  Lake Hartwell is down 20 feet,with every boat ramp closed, and  Lake lanier is also down about 20 feet with only 2 boat ramps open >Sad.

I live 15 min from lake lanier, but I haven't been sense early this summer because of the low water levels, so early this week I decided that I would go up to Van Pugh Park on Lake lanier, to see how bad things have gotten.

When I got to the park I Drove by the parks boat ramp that ended it a dry ditch, that I think may have been part of the lake before the Army Corps thought it would be a good idea to drain the lakes they controll in northern GA.

When I got out of my car I decided that I would explore what used to be a chain of about 5 islands, but are now nothing more than hills that are connected by something that can only be described as Sand dunes that rise about 15 feet out of the water. I actually have some pictures of these but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post them yet.

I started to head for the last of the islands wich was about a half mile from the parking area. The whole way there I walked on the side of the islands that faced away from the main body of the lake. About halfway to the far Island, while I was crossing one of these massive dunes, I decided to climb to the top and check out the lake. When I got to the top I noticed two things. I noticed how hard the wind was blowing (would have been a GREAT day for sailing) and the 30 foot sailboat that when past me. All I could do is stand there and Wish I had a boat of my own. 

After a bit of stairing I started walking toward that far island.  I still can't get over how bad the lakes around here are looking. There are very rocky islands appearing in the middle of the lake. All kinds of things are being uncoverd. and I would Be terrified to drive a power boat anywhere on the lakes right now. 

I just hope that it gets better soon
Why does your Army control lakes in GA? Enemy fish? Tongue
Well from what I hear Keith McLean caused some trouble a few years back and then the army had to step in to clean everything up Tongue

But it was the Army corps of engineers that build the dam on the lake and several of the larger lakes in the area. And because they build the dams They control them and the lakes >Sad
Oh great, now it's my fault! I wonder if it was the beer, the rum, or the cannon fire that got the army out there draining our water. Maybe it was the midnight beer bottle in the campfire explosion. Brian and I thought we'd be seeing the wrong side of some jail bars that night!

Keith
well Keith, it seems like you might have a few good stories to add to the board!
Keith
Hahaha. that one had me up all night lol.
Acctually folks I have no idea what he is talking about, in fact I dont know this man, Keith is it? 
Wink Wink ;D

[move]BOOM!!![move]

Brian.
There are a lot of Keiths here. We're slowly taking over.
[attachment=1]

Brian_Watford

Wow Im kinda behind on this forum.  There may be a few Keiths here (like we can handle more than one lol) but there are a couple of Brians to ballance it out and keep it crazy.  I went to Van Pugh (one of the two ramps that were supposed to be open last year) and it was also high and dry.  Last week the admiral and I drove up there and the lake has come up several feet.  Sailing will be possible soon if anyone is up for it.
Ive been getting both boats ready to sail lately and am ready to make a story for this forum.

Brian
Out of an office of 18 people 5 of us are Gregs or Craigs!