BYYB Forums

Full Version: Love the Vacationer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well first off let me introduce myself, I am Keith Benton.

I've always had a passion for sailing, ever sense I was a little kid, but I've always had a problem. i have no boat. I was able to teach myself the basics of this wonderful pass time with an R/C sailboat I got one summer. and I actually had a fantastic oppertunity when I was hired as the Sailing Instructor at a summer camp up in Maine. And let me say, I had the time of my life.

I spend 3 months in Maine, and I was sailing the lake all day everyday. So I just about when crazy when I got home, because once again I had no boat. So I began seaching for one that I could call my own. and sense I live 10 min from lake lanier, and about an hour from both lake Hartwell and allatoona, There were many to be found. unfortunatly many of them were either too expensive, too big, or in such rough shape that the paint on their hulls was the only thing holding them together.

I didn't know what I was going to do. But then one day I stumbled accross the Stevenson Projects web site.
I'll build my own Boat I thought to myself.
after looking at must have been hundreds of designs, I settled on the Vacationer to be my first.
I love the look. I fell in love with the clipper bow, and the gaff rigging. Its a decent size, but something that can be trailored.

But I don't know where to start. I know I need the plans first off. But I had to wait till Stevenson had their website back up. Now I just need to sit down and order them. But after that....

Does anybody have any tips or any ideas to offer for a first time builder?
Oh, I almost forgot,

it's nice to me all of ya'll

Keith
Welcome aboard from another new arrival. Good bunch around here; they're really good about answering questions.

Bill
Welcome aboard Keith,
Well I am glad to see another vacationer builder in the area.
I am in the process of building one, and Keith Mclean has built one and just got back from sailing it at guntersville alabama.
The first thing I would do is start to gather Materials that you will need. I know I have a materials list around here somewhere, I will post it for you when I find it. you have to figure out which way you are going to go; Wood and glue wise. The plans call for acx plywood and plastic resin glue which are fine, but if you want a longer lasting boat you may want to go with some sort of Marine ply, and epoxy from some of he vendors we use , In fact members do get a dicount at some vendors we use for materials.
If you have any questions at all Just fire away mate the only dumb questin is the one you didnt ask, dont ask me how I know, lol.
Again welcome to the madness , this boatbuilding thing and enjoy.

Brian Walters.
Thanks bill, from reading a lot of the older forums I've noticed that this a good group of people, fairly interesting too.

And Thank you Brian.
When I first found BYYB I was suprised to find out how many builders there were in the area.
I acually wish I had found out about the glen-l gathering earlyer. i subscribed to their new letter a while back and i think I just missed the one telling about this past weekend. If I had know about it I would have defanitly been over in AL this weekend.

I've realized that building a boat will be a learing experience.
It sure is but what a reat experience it is, When i first began this venture i had never touched a skill or jigsaw and had no idea that woods were differant 'cept for the color lol, but I love it and when you are through you will have the best looking boat o the lake and it comes with braging rights.
Have you gone to my website i am doccumenting my build on it.
If not here is the address.
http://brisboatyard.com/
and to be more specific on the buildin part here is the beginning...
http://brisboatyard.com/progress1.html

Brian.
Well I have actually spent a good deal of time on your website already. Both the building pages of your boat and checking out all the pictures from the get-togethers that have been up on lake hartwell.

you're boat is looking good so far. I look foward to seeing new pictures once you have some posted!
Welcome aboard Keith, It's good to have you join our group. Now that you have decided to build a Vacationer I have some info that you can use to get started easily. Ken Castille has a keel that is looking for a good home and he's offered to deliver it to anyone who wants it for the price of gas and a meal. You should take him up on this offer he lives just south of Atl. Also anytime you want to take a look at my boat just let me know, I'm sure we can arrange something, maybe even a ride if the weather is right. You'll have a love/hate while you're building the boat but once she's done as Bob Marley says "Everytins gonna be alright"

Keith
Thanks Keith!

I would love the opertunity to get a look at your boat, and a ride in it would be even better! That's if there are any boat ramps open with the lakes being like they are. and I've actually been eyeing that keel that Ken Castille has, and even considered giving it a good home.

Keith
Yeah I would jump on that oppoptunity if I was just starting out too, it is a great deal. I have to say Keiths boat is even better in person.
Pages: 1 2 3 4