BYYB Forums

Full Version: knots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok gents, something a little different.

What knots do you consider essential for a sailor?

What knots are useful but not required?

I consider myself better than average when it comes to knot tying, but I'm not expert by a long sight. Bowline, square, slip, and reef are the mainstays of my knot-tying repertoire.

Bill
I use the figure 8 knot on the end of all sheets. It prevents them from pulling thorough the pulley, as is easy to loosen for removal.

I have another knot I learned fron SAR techs in the military to loop rope and make a chain, it allows rope to be stored in a bag. It can be pulled out without binding. Hard to describe how it goes. Maybe I can find an illustration on the net.

Greg
On highly loaded lines I use the anchor bend, which retains about 90% of the line strength, unlike most knots which reduce line strength, sometimes dramatically. I've seen bow lines used on jib sheets which shook out and it does reduce line around 30%.

I like the sheepshank too, which is a handy way to "bridle" things.

Most of my knots are made "slippery", which is a handy thing to learn. I also cleat lines slippery when I want to release them quickly.

There isn't a name for it, but many years ago I learned how to make a dock line fast to a pile, but it can be released with just a tug on the tag end. You don't have to go "round" the piling to untie it, just give a hank. This is a great asset in getting underway single-handed or wrapping up a reefed sail. The best way to describe it is a slippery blight.

The truckers knots is also another handy one.

Rob Kern

Quote:I have another knot I learned fron SAR techs in the military to loop rope and make a chain, it allows rope to be stored in a bag. It can be pulled out without binding. Hard to describe how it goes. Maybe I can find an illustration on the net.

Greg

Sounds like the "Daisy Chain". Used that in the Army to stow jumped parachutes and now we use it to stow the crown line on hot air balloons. Make a loop in one hand, reach through with the other hand, grab the long end and pull a new loop through. Then drop the first loop and repeat with the new one. It prevents tangles as long as you don't try to secure the loose end when you finish. It also takes much more space because it doesn't compact well or neatly.

Uhmm, I can't recommend a website that illustrates this because the Google search led to some wildly unrelated subjects. Search with care, some results NSFW.
Quote:
Greg Miller Wrote:I have another knot I learned fron SAR techs in the military to loop rope and make a chain, it allows rope to be stored in a bag. It can be pulled out without binding. Hard to describe how it goes. Maybe I can find an illustration on the net.

Greg

Sounds like the "Daisy Chain". Used that in the Army to stow jumped parachutes and now we use it to stow the crown line on hot air balloons. Make a loop in one hand, reach through with the other hand, grab the long end and pull a new loop through. Then drop the first loop and repeat with the new one. It prevents tangles as long as you don't try to secure the loose end when you finish. It also takes much more space because it doesn't compact well or neatly.

Uhmm, I can't recommend a website that illustrates this because the Google search led to some wildly unrelated subjects. Search with care, some results NSFW.

I'm familiar with this. We used it for extension cords at the body shop. :-)

Basically it's a series of slip knots. It has the advantage of looking cool. :-D

Here's a couple resource for the anchor bend:

http://www.animatedknots.com/anchor/inde...dknots.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_bend

Sheepshank
http://www.animatedknots.com/sheepshank/...dknots.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheepshank

It turns out I've been using a Trucker's hitch for years without knowing the name of it. I used to work for a company delivering tables and chairs and such and we used it extensively. Well tied you can have an incredible amount of tension on it.

That animated knot site seems pretty cool, I might have to spend some time there. I have a long time interest in knots and rope work.

Bill
Here's the "storage knot" we were referencing.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet...dknots.com

Apparently it's a Chain Sinnet, or Chain stitch.
That is exactly the knot I use. It works well to store my main sheet tangle free, and my anchor rope as well.

Greg
Glad I stumbled onto this post!  The links are very helpful.  I know a square knot, but little else.

Dave
On our single-engined seaplanes at work, we sometimes tie boats to the float struts. A rolling hitch followed by a series of trucker's hitches on the lashing rope enables a guy to tie a boat down tight enough to damage it if not careful. Sometimes on the big twin engined seaplanes, an offshore wind on the tail can overpower a person trying to secure the stern line to a dock cleat, a quick trucker's hitch can double up the rope and give you the power to pull the boat/plane to shore unassisted. Clove hitch, figure 8 knot, bowline, are the other knots I use, plus I've used an anchor bend once or twice. On my boat I use the same knots when I can remember how to do them. I consider the bowline to be essential.

Greg, that storage knot WAS called the "chain sinnet" in the book you showed me.
In Coast Guard boot camp back in65 we had to learn six knots. Let's see if I  can remember them

Reef knot (also called a square knot)
Bowline (also a bowline on a bight)
two half hitches
Round turn with two half hitches
clove hitch
Sheep shank.

Also we had to learn how to eye splice, end splice, and splice two lines together.
We learned to properly secure a line on a cleat, either with hitches or  a slippery hitch and how to put a line on a bollard or cleat so you could release it from the boat and retrieve it without no one on the dock.
Also how to fake a line and flemish a line. 

Bosun mates had to learn a lot more, especially how to tie a Monkeys Fist and to coil a line for line throwing.
Pages: 1 2