BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender, Vacationer handling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've never met a single boat builder, that upon completion and launch, wouldn't do something differently. Maybe this is a function of humanity. I also don't know of a single designer that wouldn't want to make changes to a design, if given the change to "re-pen" a previous project.

A centerboard that divides a small cabin is more then awkward. You can hide it by making a table or something, but it's just there and eating up valuable space. On small boats, I try hard to keep it below the sole if possible, but in extreme shoal, small craft this is all but imposable.

Ted Brewer calls these things the "three D's" (Difficult Design Decisions) I call them the "three C's" (Convoluted Concessions in Compromise). One man's pointing ability is another's cramped cabin. I'm often telling a design client, "okay, that's nice, now pick one . . ."

Almost two decades ago a friend of mine bought a McGreggor 65. This was a new 65' sailing yacht, with a very slippery, deep hull, lofty rig and high 'teens to low 20's (MPH) performance, kind of boat. It cost an astounding $150,000 back then, which was a fraction of the price of other 65', very fast yachts. He then had the interior cut apart and paneled with mahogany, holly and bronze hardware. He spent another 150 grand on this remodel (on a brand new boat) before it hit the water for the first time. His total investment was still much less then any other 65' yacht and it was special as far as McGreggor 65's go.

How many folks own a home that don't do something radical to it? Do we leave the 50's era bathroom tile colors or go for the updated pedestal sink and wrap around shower enclosure?

I honestly think it's just human nature to desire slight differences in the stuff we have. If you line up ten, white, 2008 Ford F-150's next to each other, all being owned for at least 6 months, you'll see each has differences. Some will have added tires, mags, driving lights, while others have something dangling from their rear view mirror or affixed to the dash. Each would be discernable if parked next to each other in a parking lot, even though 6 months earlier, they were exactly the same.

This is a natural thing, a good thing and should be developed. What changes and alterations a specific design can tolerate and/or those who should contemplate these types of modifications, is and should be a personal decision. Base this on sailing experience/performance desires and building skills.

Ryerson is completely correct in that no one selects a low aspect gaffer so they can claw to windward, but rather a relaxed afternoon outing sailing a "stylish" boat.

I converted my fast, cabined 23' fractional sloop to a open (cut the cabin off, because I didn't use it), masthead yawl. It doesn't point nearly as close into the wind, but it does reach better with the mizzen mule hoisted. It comes about slower and the extra mast is an added expense and requires more effort to sail, but I love the look and the ability to hoist multiple down wind sails, so . . .
I selected the Vacationer based on several points. It had the size of cabin I was seeking, plenty of room to stretch out and lots of storage for longer journeys.

The larger size compared to a Weekender, makes it very stable and great for carrying a crowd 5-6 people on a day cruise. It can still be handled solo.

The look and lines of the vessels are hard to beat, they turns heads of lots of sailors, and power boaters too.

My modification from my binnacle steering, to a tiller was the best change a made to the boat. The binnacle never offered the feel to really sail the boat to her best capabilities.

I have always appriciated the extra space that the Vacationer offers for me and all the gear I haul around in her during the sailing season.

Greg
Pages: 1 2