BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lubber alert! :-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone.

I am a new sailor, and being someone who loves to build anything and everything I now have the urge to build my own sailboat. I was given a Sea Snark hull at the end of July and I had to fabricate all the parts to get it back in the water, so that whet my appetite.

I've promised my wife that she gets a new house before I get a new boat, and with things looking a little shakey on economic front that might be longer than I hoped. Still I hope to have my first home-built boat in the water sometime in the next 3-5 years.

Since I can't get started on an actual boat currently I've been playing with the paper model plans, and visited the local library to get some reading material. I picked up Boatbuilding by Howard Chapelle, and Boatbuilding with Plywood by Witt. Both of them are pretty old. I would estimate the late 50's or early 60's for the publication date on both. Anyone familiar with these books and have an opinion on them? Any suggestions on good reading?

I've been over on the messing-about forums for a few days so some of you might have seen my name over there. I look forward to talking with you all, and swapping build and sailing stories.

Bill
Welcome aboard Mate Ahh wet yer appatite aye wait till the flood hits there is no hpe for you mate yer gonna be hooked and love it it is a great thing building your own sailboat.
again welcome aboard an I look forward to seeing what you do.
Heres a link to our book section...
http://byyb.org/pn761/index.php?name=books

and heres a good laymans book here good read..

[Image: 0071583807.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Brian.
Welcome! I decided to build a boat and even bought some oak and mahogany. That was back in 1998. I finally started the boat in 2007. It is almost finished. So don't let a few years worry you any at all.
Greetings,

I think the record is currently 19 years for the construction of a Weekender. Let's try not to break that record. Smile

Cheers,
Tom