BYYB Forums

Full Version: Turning Weekender Over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steve Cherry

I've got to re-finish the bottom of my Weekender. It seems I would need to build some sort of jig to cradle for the boat so the weight doesn't rest on the cabin roof. I'm sure some others have done this also; did you build a cradle? and did you use any particular methods to turn the boat over other than several strong, good friends looking for free beer?

mikespeare

Hi Steve,
I flipped mine by putting a tarp down and having one of my buddies give me a hand. I've reports of it being done single handed but that would take some block and tackle. After it was flipped I supported it with 4 small plastic stools. It was resting on the roof for a bit but did not have any issues. Of course your experience might be different! Good luch with your flip.
Best Regards
Mike Speare

Steve Cherry

Hi Mike; thanks for the idea. Now that you mention it, I remember (its been a while) that when I had it upside down once before temporarily, I supported it with 5 gallon paint buckets. I'm not sure if that was before I put the cabin on though, but thats probably what I'll do. Thanks again.

Steve

Rob Kern

I saw a picture once, probably in WoodenBoat Mag, where they had cut "rockers" out of plywood. They resembled the rockers on the bottom of a child's cradle and fit over the toe rail. Fit them on upside down, then roll the boat over and they keep it up off the ground. It would seem to work well for a small boat, but will need to be chocked to keep it from rocking while you work.

Steve Cherry

Thanks Rob; Good idea; I'll probably incorporate some vaiation of your idea along with the brute strength method.