BYYB Forums

Full Version: Cutter Rigs Revisited
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Konrad

I've found a few conversations in the search feature, but who here has actually done it?
I'm considering it on my Vacationer, just for something to do this winter.
Photos? Problems? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Too much complication for the increase in performance. I went with top mast and sail with the dual headsails. Done right it will work; however, it throws the ballance of the boat off. (Moves the CE to he wrong place) It looks cool though. Search on the 2007 Beer cruise for photos. If you keep the mast stock and add a small yankee you can't get into much trouble. Use nylon ripstop or poly tarp for the expirement.
A sloop rig and a cutter rig are two different boats. On a sloop, the mast is located in the forward 1/4" of the boat's length, as it is on Vacationer. On a cutter, the mast is located nearly amidship, typically around 40 to 45% of the boat's length. This may not seem like much, but it's a huge difference in mainsail to headsail relationship and of course the balance of the CE over the CLP.

Typical sloop headsail to mainsail relationships on a low gaff angle, carrying a sprited jib is 80%/20% of the sail area. A cutter would carry 60%/40%.

Now the double headsail rig can be carried on a sloop. This is generally done by dividing the fore triangle up into two distinct sails. Usually this is done to keep sail area manageable for the crew, but on smaller boats a hybrid of sorts can be done.

The hybrid double headsail rig sets a tall boy on a baby stay (the staysail) and a jib (often set flying, but modern versions have it on a roller furler). You carry a big gennie on the jib stay, generally of light cloth for low wind strength conditions. It would be the only jib set and has substantial overlap (120% to 15%). As wind strength increases, this sail is progressively rolled up or doused and twin headsails hoisted. The tall boy on the baby stay and a high cut yankee on the jib stay. When winds continue to increase, the headsails are again changed, usually to a single jib, possibly with a slight overlap on the roller or maybe on a second jib stay as a 100 or 90% sail. If a second staysail is available then a higher cut, smaller area is hanked to the baby stay.

Considering the small fore triangle of Vacationer, dividing it up into two sails isn't especially practical, nor efficient, but it does look cool flying twin heads. I think a better sail to carry would be a code 0 or other asymmetrical down wind sail, of the type that can be carried well into reaching points. It would greatly improve the power available in light and moderate wind strengths, plus give you some additional strings to pull on. These new "cruising" sails are easy to set and handle, without a pole and have been cut to work with the wind just above the beam, which increases their usefulness.

Konrad

Be assured, I'm not attempting any kind of performance increase. My Vacationer is just strictly for looks and conversation with the local sailors. If I want performance, I'll crew on one of the Nacra 6.0's or some other beach cat.

I'm going to make a new set of sails, and I bought enough material to do an additional smaller headsail. I'm thinking roughly 60% of the jib. Also was thinking I'd up the main sail leach just a touch to offset it. Still kicking it around, we'll see.

If anyone's got photos, that'd be great.

Elusive II

[Image: DSC00193.jpg]

Is this what you are looking for???
Larry C

Konrad

I want the look of a smaller headsail out front. I like the visual aspect of the headsail and staysail as shown in this photo.

[Image: 56667thumb.jpg]
Here Ya go Craig...
[Image: normal_allfour.jpg]
[Image: normal_fullsail.jpg]

Brian

Konrad

YES, EXACTLY..!!

How can anyone think that's not the coolest thing EVER...?

Mostly what I wanted to see was the placement of the two forestays. Who's boat is this?
It is the Saralee
I remembered the dodger but not the cutter rig. Is the storm jib stock cut? 8) 8)
Pages: 1 2