BYYB Forums

Full Version: 1st Boat Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

David Oelker

Ok guys, here is a loaded question for you.

I want to build something...NOW, while waiting for Weekender plans to be available again. Plus, I want to develop some skills before tackling the Weekender. I have looked at different plans until I am blue in the face. Seems like most of the easy boats are...well, ugly. I would think there would be a simple sailing dinghy or something I could build but I haven't been able to find it yet. So I'll ask the experts here; What boat would you recommend to fit the following qualifications:

1.) Simple and quick to build
2.) Easy (extremely) to understand plans, and of course the plans have to be readily available
3.) Good looks with pretty, classic lines (no sail boxes please)
4.) Big enough for at least two people
5.) Easy to sail (this boat will be on sheltered water, lakes and such)

I know this sounds pretty demanding but what would you suggest to someone who has never built a boat but has these things in mind?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.
Here are two free sets of plans for tried and true designs that will meet your needs to build and not cost an arm. Plus you will have one or two very servicable boats to start your fleet. 8) 8)

http://www.bateau.com/freeplans.php

David Oelker

Wow, I guess all I had to do was ask!

The D-5 dinghy they list looks like what I had in mind, but I haven't looked through all of the plans yet. Thanks a bunch Craig :o - yea!